Logging East Tennessee on the C&S RR

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Doctor G, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Bored in Stanleyville Tennessee

Nothing much ever happens in Stanleyville Tennessee and it is easy for a good ole boy to get bored. Even the arrival of a steam train doesn't do much to break the doldrums.
    Even the argument of Jimmy Joe and Betty Sue up on the ridge barely causes a neuron to fire.
    Another day passes in the hollers of the Tennessee Mountains.
    Doc Tom:cry:

Attached Files:

2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Oh, maannnnn....!!!! :eek:

BTW...How long have you been at this..?? Just hoping that someday I can put something together with some semblance to this degree of excellence....:thumb:
  3. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Hi Gus,
    Thanks for the nice compliment. It does keep one motivated to crank out some more photos to get good feedback.
    THis layout has been in "production" since 1987. It is in its 3rd home and originally was built to be moveable with us.
    It has been a real joy and I only figured out digital photography very recently and thats why I am trying to document the whole thing wit hall these pictures lately .
    The only pain in the patoosh with a logging layout is ALL THE TREES you have to make. I have literally used every technique in the choo choo model book to make trees except the twisted wire and string one. But hey maybe I will try that next week. Because believe it or not I still haven't made enough trees!!!!!wall1wall1wall1
    Peace, Doc Tom
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Not only a superb layout, Doc, but a terrific story built into it as well!
  5. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thanks Mountain Man. I have enjoyed spinning this digital yarn. This is a very nice website with very supportive modelers on it!!!
    More pictures coming.
    Doc Tom:mrgreen:
  6. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Steam Shaking up Stanleyville

Even a steam spewing logging Shay with breaks screaming coming down grade cannot shake up the sleepy little town of Stanleyville Tenessee. No one seems to notice as the locomotive drifts by the engrossing checker game outside Stanleyville Depot. And Mr Stanley can't seem to get his mind off his best girlfriend as the Shay rattles the tin on his shop.This is one laid back Tennessee village!!!!
    Doc Tom:cry:

Attached Files:

7. Mountain Man

Doc - your layout is like one of those serialized comic strips that used to run in the papers! I can't wait for the next installment! :thumb:
  8. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Stanleyville and its fabulous store.

Thanks Mountain Man. Well here's the next installment.
    A double headed Shay logging train has stopped at Stanleyville to get further orders from the dispatcher who appears to be taking a nap back at his post in RailCamp.
    Hey,but that's OK as Stanleyville is noted for its Stanleyville Store with Dr Peppers, sausage and biscuits, pork rinds and plenty of good snacks for the hard working Railroad men. The kids in town love the place too as there are plenty of treats for them and getting empty coke and Dr Pepper bottles for deposit money from the RR crews helps pay for the goodies.
    Eventually Hector will wake up from his nap and send the train crew further on down the line to the logging camps.
    Doc Tom:cool:

Attached Files:

9. ytter_man

ytter_man Member

This is the kind of place i could move into. How much is a 10 acre section going for? sign1
  10. Mountain Man

Very nice interior shot of the store! :thumb:
  11. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Mountain Land for sale

Hey there ytter_man
    Mayor Jimmy Joe has got a deal for you!!! In fact just send $19.99 to Mayor Jimmy Joe Rural Route 1 Stanleyville Tennessee and he will send you this great brochure outlining great mountain land buys for those looking for a little diffent lifestyle way back in country.
    Doc Tom:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Attached Files:

12. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Hi Mountain Man,
    I was finally able to sneak a digital camera inside the Stanleyville store and grabbed this "up close" shot of the interior. This was some difficult model making!!!!!
    Doc Tom:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Attached Files:

13. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Stanleyville Departure

Well Hector woke up and has dispatched the train on to the logging camps. Its time to say good bye to Stanleyville as the train moves out.
    doc Tom:wave:

Attached Files:

14. Mountain Man

Nice work on the cans and labers! And that tiny pencil the grocery clerk is writing with is a work of art! :mrgreen:
  15. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

I'm still rubbing my eyes after all that close up work!!!
    Doc Tomsign1
  16. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

On to Logging Camp Lucky 7

Two of the largest Hickory trees east of Stanleyville were cut to make the crossing of the Lonesome Dove River high in the Smokies. Our camera man got on board for a "sway shot" as the train climbs a less than straight route through a cut.
    As the crew lines the turnout a picture is made of the spur to Lucky Camp 7 where the empties will be shoved and a load of fresh cut logs will be picked up.
    Doc Tom:wave:

Attached Files:

17. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Bear Sighting!!!

What's that old saying....."Does a Bear----- in the woods?" Well our photographer ain't about to ask this one.
    Doc Tom:cool:

Attached Files:

18. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Fantastic work!!!! Keep it comin'...!!! I hope we're not anywhere near reaching the end of the line of this here railroad....:cry:
  19. BLinny

BLinny New Member

Wow Nice pictures

Hi Doc Tom I finally made it .......very nice pictures great work
  20. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Hi Gus,
    Thanks for the support. We have a LONG way to go on this RR. Haven't even left the "main line" and gone up some of the branches with their 4% ruling grades yet. MORE TO COME.
    Doc Tom:thumb: