Logging East Tennessee on the C&S RR

Doctor G

very cool layout.. a couple of inspiring pictures for my upcoming pacific northwest n scale logging layout...
Hi Kevin,
Glad you liked the pictures. An n scale logger would be nice. Have you been able to run that Atlas "n scale" Shay??

Looking forward to pictures of your layout as it takes shape.
Doc Tom :wave:

allaboutkevin

Yes, I picked up the Bloedel Stewart & Welch Ltd. (Black/White) 9 Atlas N Scale "Shay" as well a a half a dozen old style centerbeam logging cars (microtrains). The combination looks amazing and can't wait to get started this spring on my layout. Thanks again

jandr

Doc G:

Fantastic work. Great thread. Awesome pix. Very inspiring to this aspirational pacific northwest logging modeler.

Doctor G

Yes, I picked up the Bloedel Stewart & Welch Ltd. (Black/White) 9 Atlas N Scale "Shay" as well a a half a dozen old style centerbeam logging cars (microtrains). The combination looks amazing and can't wait to get started this spring on my layout. Thanks again

That is going to be a great pike!!! Consider posting some pictures when the mood stikes.
Doc Tom:wave:

Doctor G

Doc G:

Fantastic work. Great thread. Awesome pix. Very inspiring to this aspirational pacific northwest logging modeler.

Thanks for the compliment. The interest generated keeps the pictures flowing.

Hope you can post a pic or two of your new layout.

Doctor G

Merry christmas from the gang on the c&s.

Why just yesterday Mr Bubba and Fred had found the perfect Christmas tree for the dining hall back in town. Now if they can just flag down that logging train,get it cut and on its way to town. The boys are ready to get out of the Tennessee Mountain cold air and in to the warmth of the Shay's cab.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody!!!!

Doc Tom:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Christmas 2008.jpg
    Christmas 2008.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 7

steamhead

Doc....A belated "Merry Christmas" to yous' all...Travelin', grandkids & Christmas have kept me away from the 'puter for a coupla' days.
Those scenes are just great...!!! :thumb:

Doctor G

Doc....A belated "Merry Christmas" to yous' all...Travelin', grandkids & Christmas have kept me away from the 'puter for a coupla' days.
Those scenes are just great...!!! :thumb:
Hi Steamhead,
Merry Christmas to you!!! I just got my kids on the road today after 4 days of Christmas fun. Quiet around the old house. Hope you had a good visit with your gang.

Doctor G

Water Tank at CAMP 5

Just down grade from Camp #5 is the water tank for the thirsty steamers. It is a replica of the prototype at Cass West Virginia. Basically it is an old Shay tank connected to a spring by a pipe up into the Mountain. A refreshing drink on a hot summer day.

Note how the Climax is below the train to prevent "run aways" and has its boiler pointed up grade to keep water "on the crown sheet" preventing a boiler explosion.
Doc Tom:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Water Tank.jpg
    Water Tank.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Water Tank 1.jpg
    Water Tank 1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Water Tank 2.jpg
    Water Tank 2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Water Tank 3.jpg
    Water Tank 3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 9

steamhead

Marvelous...!!! Like the detail about keeping the boiler water on the crown sheet....How did they manage this when heading downhill..?? Was it up to the fireman to keep the boiler "topped" up..??
It's close to an 8 hrs. trip (one way) to see the g'kids....Just got back a little while ago. I'd do it all over again tomorrow just to spend a few hrs. with them....

Doctor G

Marvelous...!!! Like the detail about keeping the boiler water on the crown sheet....How did they manage this when heading downhill..?? Was it up to the fireman to keep the boiler "topped" up..??
It's close to an 8 hrs. trip (one way) to see the g'kids....Just got back a little while ago. I'd do it all over again tomorrow just to spend a few hrs. with them....
Hi SH.
I have wondered about that too. Especially using switchbacks there would be by definition have to be part of the trip in which the boiler pointed down hill. I suppose as you mentioned that fireman was kept very busy watching the water glass and keeping the tender full of water.
You are a great Grandfather to spend all this tme with your grandchildren! Hope they like your trains.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'm going to have to run my "Cass" video. I remember seeing that tank, but not exactly where it was on the line.

Doctor G

Cass Water tanks

I'm going to have to run my "Cass" video. I remember seeing that tank, but not exactly where it was on the line.
Hi Sumpter,
My memory is of these tanks I found on the Cass Website. Are these the ones that you recall??
Doc Tom:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Cass Water tank.jpg
    Cass Water tank.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Cass Water tank 2.jpg
    Cass Water tank 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10

Doctor G

Clowns at the Camp 5 Coal Dock

Logging Camp #5 is so isolated that it has its own coal dock for the hard working logging locomotives.

Knowing that a photographer was nearby part of the crew decided to
"clown around"for posterity.

Doc Tom:cry::cry::cry:

Attachments

• Coal Dock1.jpg
    Coal Dock1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Clowns at Coal Dock.jpg
    Clowns at Coal Dock.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Coal Dock2.jpg
    Coal Dock2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 9

Doctor G

Camp 5 Logging Cabins

Logging Camp #5 is located in a saddle between two mountains. It is fairly far removed from the civility of Stanleyville and is home to some rough and tumble loggers lodged in temporary logging cabins.

Loggers can hitch a ride on the log trains to town and back. An occasional small passenger car can make it up here as well and provide softer seating than a logging flat.

Attachments

• Camp 5 logging cabins.jpg
    Camp 5 logging cabins.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Camp 5 2.jpg
    Camp 5 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Camp 5 3.jpg
    Camp 5 3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Camp5 4.jpg
    Camp5 4.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 12

Mountain Man

Those are some weathered and used looking shacks! :thumb:

Those two guys sitting seem to have the same thing wrong with their arms! :mrgreen:

ytter_man

That's the kind of camp scene i really like, and having stayed in modern logging camps as a little kid, i can tell ya there hasnt been too much changed.

Generators do help though sign1

Thanks! :thumb:

Doctor G

Looks like they dripped that last one! I'd make the guy that dropped that one sleep in it next winter The Berghausen-Shoemaker Lumber Co. take a lot better care of thier skid shacks. as can be seen in the photo I just posted

Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928
Hey Bill,
Stuffing some old newspapers in the gaps of that skid shack should help keep it warm in the winter.

Besides the logging crew is loyal to the great cook at Camp #5 and are not too particular as to the appearance and structural shape of their domiciles.