Logging and Model RR Newbie

sledge57

Jan 1, 2006
Dearborn Hts, Mi
Hi all, gotta say I love this site.

After toying with N scale years ago and considering returning to it, I've decided that my "old" eyeballs can't do N so I've made the plunge in to HO.

I've always wanted to do a W Va. logging layout and after finding the Cass Scenic Railroads site I knew this was the area I want to do. I've known this since I first went white water rafting in W Va on the New and the Cheat rivers. Seeing the tracks run along side the river, deep in the gorge had always set me to day dreaming.

So anyways I bit the bullet, (I've been procrastinating a bit, my motto has been "I'm tired, I'll procrastinate tomorrow............"
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway I figured the best way to get motivated was to spend some money, so...........................

Here's the power for my new RR. It should arrive Friday, hopefully I can beat them home (working in Cicni this week, live in Detroit area) and get to them b4 the "BOSS" does
whack.gif

My-Shay.jpg

My-Climax.jpg

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Looks like great power, I just made a switch to On30 from "N" and havn't looked back.

Good luck, keep us posted

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Be very careful picking up the climax. The lineshaft has a SHORT coupling to the front truck, and is "fun" to get back together. The lineshaft on the shay will also disconnect, but is a little easier to recouple.
I think you will really like both of those locos, and logging in HO.
Pete

sledge57

Jan 1, 2006
Dearborn Hts, Mi
Thanks everyone, they both arrived safely yesterday. Now it's time to design a suitable home for them. They're too pretty to leave in the box :D

I measured my old workshop and after I clean it out I should be abale to devote a 9x6 foot space along 2 walls.

I'm thinking a switch back layout is in my future.

Any good links to pics, articles or track plans for switch backs?

Thanks,

spookman

Apr 22, 2006
henryslureworld.com
Sledge I live north of Detroit myself but I am originaly from Richwood West Virginia. Not far from Greenbriar. I would almost kill for a set like that. Where did you get it?
Henry

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org