Locomotive weights

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I got an N-scale Thomas the Tank Engine (Tomix) for Christmas last year. It's a really nicely detail little model, but it seems a bit too light, and has trouble going over turnouts at low speeds. It has two weights inside (one over the worm gear and in the space inside the tanks and boiler, and another in the coal bunker). What I was wondering is if anyone knows of a product or something that I can use to add additional weight to the model. There isn't any extra room available for weights, so I would have to somehow replace the existing ones with a heavier material... Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Rory

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Rory,

What are the original weights made of? I would guess they are not lead, because of child toys legislation and health risks of lead for kids. Maybe upgrade the weights to lead? Using lead flashing used by builders etc for flashing around chimneys etc?? bend, crush, cut into shape?

Or you could just get a Fat Controller and put him in the cab!!
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

TOOT!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I didn't know that they couldn't use lead for the weights...but that makes sense to me, I suppose. I think I might take a trip down to the ol' building supply and see if I can find some lead...

As far as the Fat Controller is concerned, I don't think I'm ready for him to visit my railway! With the number of mistakes I make, he'd probably send me to the sheds to think about how to be Really Useful!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

-Rory