Locomotive suggestions for Pullman 12-1??

aslan

May 16, 2006
Being a newbie I thought I could ask this question without getting too many flames! LOL
I think I've decided to use a Pullman theme on my new HO railroad. Please direct me to the type of loco that would go along with it. (This probbly is a dumb question but. . .)
Thanks,
Stan

aslan

May 16, 2006
I am not planning on making this an era sensitive railroad. It's just going to be out of my own imagination. I have seen some incredible layouts based on location and eras. However, this is only going to be for my pleasure. All I need is to find out what type of locomotives go with these pullman cars.
Stan

Old 'n' Weary

Mar 22, 2006
If you're looking for a single answer, try a 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive. It was very commonly used to pull heavyweight passenger trains. Now, of course, someone else will probably suggest that a 4-8-4 Northern is your best bet. Just have fun!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Is your Pullman a full length car. or a "shorty". Athearn, MDC, Con Cor, and others have made passenger cars that scale out to 72 feet instead of 85 feet in order to go around 18 inch radius curves. Con Cor also makes full length 85 foot cars as do Rivarossi, Walthers, and anything brass. If you are running full length cars, you will need to run at least a 24 inch radius and I suspect it will need to be closer to 30 inch radius. If you have a radius that big you can run anything. For passenger steam, a 4-6-2 pacific, or 4-8-4 Northern would be good. 4-8-2 Mountains were also used in passenger service. I think the U.P. used the 4-6-6-4 Challengers for passenger service. For diesels, any EMD E unit or F unit could be used as well as Alco Pa's or DL109's some roads ran EMD gp7's or 9's or Alco Rs units with steam generators for passenger service . If you run the shorty cars to enable you to run on 18 inch radius, you will be better off running a pacific in steam or a f-unit in diesel, or something with 2 axle trucks. I think atlantic type 4-4-2 were used in passenger service where the railroad was flat, but a 4-4-2 would not have the power to pull more than 1 or 2 passenger cars up any sort of grade.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Any large steam---4-6-2, 4-8-4, etc. would do well up to about 10 cars and be within realism. Diesels usually go 6-8 cars each, Amtrak rated their FP40s at 6 cars each I believe. While there are few really outstanding details on steam for passenger service, diesels have more noticable details. E, F and PA/PB (pictured) units toward the rear of the loco, on the last roof hatch have prominent steam generator details for heating passenger cars, freight units would not. Hood units like the GP shown usually have the steam equipment in the nose like the one in black pictured. Keep those on your diesel fleet and you'll have a happy bunch of LPBs on your pike---especially in the winter.

Attachments

• steangen.jpg
    steangen.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 97