Loco running direction and reversing it

Deonildo

If I place a loco it will run on some particular direcion (lets say from left to right), if I change the loco initial position (right to left) it will runn towards same direction can anybody explain me why, I tought the direcction will reverse, because of - / + polarity on traks (wich remans unchanged).

pgandw

The polarity of the track - not the direction the locomotive is facing - determines which way a locomotive will go with DC control (I don't know for sure about DCC). If you reverse the polarity of the track by throwing the direction switch, the locomotive will change direction. But if you turn the locomotive by hand, the track polarity doesn't change and the locomotive will still go the same direction down the track, even though it is facing the other way.

Hope this makes sense and helps

cidchase

To look at it another way, D, when you flip the loco, you reverse the +/- connections
to the motor (thru the wheels.) The motor turns in the opposite direction, and the
loco runs in reverse, making it move the same direction as before it was turned.

Deonildo

-

Yep, thanks. ¿If I want to change, for some reason, the runnig direction of a loco, w/o switching polarity, could it be done in someway within the loco or it is hardware determined as is?

For long I have been thinking on two or three independent circuits where to run engines on opossites directions w/o polarity changes troughout the entire trak.

hooknlad

Deonlido - Welcome to the Gauge !!! If you are interestd in regulat DC mode and are interested in making one loco run opposite the other trains, without rewiring the trax, ( which wouldnt work in the first place ), open the locomotive, an swap the black and red wire within the loco. Viola, you will have the capability of running the trains like on the Addams family . Not a very practical application, but i believe this is the answer that you are looking for.

Deonildo

Thank all you for your answers and warm welcome.

I think changing wires will do it.

Another question I have had all my engines boxed for nearly 8 years, ¿Do you recomend me to lube them all?

jim currie

:wave: welcome to the gauge and if you are running a loco that if frame grounded like older Athearn blue box locos you will have to flip the axles end for end .

Deonildo

Yes it is my case, honestly I have been very bussy and I havent had time left to check cables, buy yes I have Athern blue box locos. Could you please explain to me about fliping axles or maybe a reference so I can read it ? Tankks

jasonboche

BTW, with DCC all this logic goes out the window. Normal direction of travel for the loco is determined by the decoder.

Jas

Deonildo

Thanks Jason, ITs is ilustrating, unfortunatelly I think i wont go that way for now. I would learn many interesting things, but not for the moment.