Loco Bash

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Where does one draw the line between super detailing and kit-bashing?
I guess it's a matter of opinion.
I guess that if the model is modified to represent something else, it would be a kit-bash.
for example, back dating an F9 to a phase II F7. Or modifying a USRA Mikado to represent a CN prototype.
I guess adding detail parts to a model to make it more prototypical without it becoming something other than it was originally built as would be detailing.
Or, Is super detailing a sub category of kit-bashing or vice-versa?
Now I'm confused.

F

Fred_M

Kitbashing use to mean taking parts from 1 kit or more and recombining them into a new and different model. So you had to start with a kit for X and end with a model of Y.

Superdetailing was the upgrading of a pre-existing model to show more detail or prototypical accuracy. I think Ray's loco examples are still super detailing because kit- bashing required the use of a kit. Replacing a cab is still superdetailing too.

Here's a way to maybe clarify the point. Does Cal Scale say they sell (super) detail parts or do they call them (kit) bashing parts? Fred

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
My thoughts and belief on kit bashing is where you change the appearance of building,car or locomotive.Now when you ADD details then that's super detailing.
There is no doubt in my mind that Val removed some stock detail such as the bell and cut the running board in order to install the second pump..Therefore its a kit bash of a stock locomotive.

F

Fred_M

I guess you may be right. I live in a glass house so I shouldn't throw stones, they might go click. Well, the bed is made so I'm gonna go lay down, I promise never to question anyones use of terminology on this forum to describe their work again, even if somebody glues together a bunch of DPM modules and call it a scratch built structure, so be it. They can call it what they want as far as I'm conserned. I do remeber reading old magazines where they use to disagree wheather it was kit bashing or kit mingling, kit bashing won the name game. Now almost anything can be called bashing and scratching, is that right guys? Fred

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, I have other things to worry about than nit-picking over terminology.

This morning I got some bad news. I had a line on 2 etched brass CN number plates, which are no longer in production, from a member of the CN listserv I belong to. Just heard back from him that they were both western oil-burners, which is just too big a stretch even for me. :(

The sort of good news is that the CN SIG is planning a second release of plates, but they are not due out until the end of June, and while they give a range of numbers, they are not repeating the ones they already released. This means I can't pick a number for the engine yet, sigh.

The photos below show the prototype number plate that goes under the headlamp. The model version is etched brass. You paint the whole thing red, then a light sanding reveals the raised numbers and letters. They look fantastic!

The other shot is of the cab numerals they make. All CN steam had raised numerals on the cabs. Pretty swanky!!! LOL!!!

Val

Attachments

• number.jpg
    number.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 99
  • numbers.jpg
    numbers.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 99

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I found that article on raised lettering.
It is in April 1971 MR.
It probably wouldn't be practical for this application though. It instructs you how to produce a negative to take to a photo etching shop.