Loco Bash

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Got my new BLI Mikado the other day and immediately set out to make it more CN prototypical. First, I stripped all the existing road names and numbers. Next, added a feedwater heater and hoses and moved the bell from the front of the smokebox to the top of the boiler.

The hardest part was adding the pump. I had to move the air pump (thanks Jim) about 1/4 inch to make room for it. This entailed carefully carving away the second air compressor and opening the running board a bit.

There was nothing to attach the pump to so I soldered a pin onto the back and drilled a hole for it. I have some brass wire for pipes, and added one coming into the pump on the left. Need another to the right and then the fireman's side is finished.

First photo is from BLI - that's the stock engine. Photo 2 is the feedwater heater assembly, and photo 3 is the pump.

Engineer's side is next and then painting the sucker!!! Can't wait - that's my fave part.

Edit: also have to add a boiler check valve behind the bell and a CN triangular number board where the bell used to be, and a number plate under the headlamp. These parts are on order.

Val

Attachments

• Mike.jpg
    Mike.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 242
  • loco1.jpg
    loco1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 255
  • loco2.jpg
    loco2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 243

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Damn, Wasn't so long ago you were worried about applying weathering to an expensive model. Now you're bashing them like a pro. And for some reason I'm not surprised. Excellant work Val.

Gary

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot everyone! :) :) I managed to get the hot water piping onto the engineer's side of the FW heater. I also found the diagram showing the correct piping - I'd been working from various photo's. Turns out there are a LOT more pipes to do, but at least what I have done is accurate.
One slight problem is that I think some of the pipes moulded onto the shell would have to go, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I may settle for "good enough" as I have no intention of sanding off pipes or moving running boards at this point.
I now need the details parts I've ordered, so this project will have to be set aside for a bit. Just for fun, here's another shot.

Val

Attachments

• mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 227

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
CNR all weather cab...

Hi Val,

Nice work.

Miniatures by Eric has the CNR Canadian All-Weather-Cab...
C4 STEAM CAB
EARLY STEAM CAB CNR
http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00043.htm

As well as two versions of the CPR (Early and Late) Canadian All-Weather-Cab...

And some other Canadian Prototype specific detail parts.

Athabasca Scale Models also makes Canadian Prototype detail parts and kits...

Nothing says Canadian like an All-Weather-Cab... :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow Val.. nice!!! :D :D

With respect to the all-weather cab - you may want to check the prototype of the number you intend to put on her - not all lococs (even of a given type) had them...

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Come to the dark side Robin. ;)

Andrew, I'm not modelling a particular engine - I had to use too many different photographs to see the various bits of piping for that. Also there are only 2 of the front number plates available: 3562 and 3564, and I'm not even sure if those engines operated out of Toronto, much less if either one had feedwater heaters! :D

Val

F

Fred_M

Isn't this a superdetailing rather than a kitbash? Good job BTW, just wondering about the terminology? Fred

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys! Fred, you may be right. Although to me, anything that involves cutting into something, and moving parts around is a kitbash. A minor one to be sure, but still a little on the scary side!! :)

Now, if I take off the cab and replace it with an all-weather cab, that will really be bashing!!

Val