Lockbolt Station: space station design for SF novel

lizzienewell

Zathros,

Look what I found! This is perfect for the gantries on my space station docks. In space, they wouldn't take all that much gas.

http://www.slate.com/articles/video...okvid&kwp_0=318822&kwp_4=1218694&kwp_1=547959

Arms sliding up and down the poles sticking out of the main shaft, should have multiple articulations. This way dangerous cargo, could be handled along and placed in ships without ever entering the station.

If you would like me to model something more detailed, give me some drawings, and I can use them to make the station you see or are forming in your mind. I would not preclude very thick strong cables cap[able of articulating or becoming rigid. This is easy to do with electro-magnets and fluidic controls. Fluidics are nice as they are impervious to any electro magnetic pulses, and by changing the plates, and size of venturis, you can change the strength allocated to each unit. This was from a long time ago, they are much sleeper and as liquid does not compress, the controls are very precise. They scale up great, I can imagine a huge one of these crawling all over the station to do whatever is necessary, each end plugging into ports, strategically placed. ;)

View attachment 148612

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is a definitely cool concept. I could see a much heavier unit being made on the same theory. Thanks!! :)