Loblaws/PC locos?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by RobertInOntario, Sep 15, 2006.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you want to remove the lettering, you can use a wet/dry 400 to 600 grit sandpaper (use it wet). It will do minimal damage to the paint while nicely removing most "stamp printed" lettering. That way you avoid the whole painting regime - strip, wash, prime, paint, decal. Works especially well if you decide to repaint the same colour. If you are going from (for example) black to yellow, you might want to strip it right down.

What cars came with that set?

Andrew
  2. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

The Mini Chef's. Like everyone else has indicated, they look like the old Tyco cars. I think the plastic is the colour that it is. Meaning they are not painted. FYI - Three box cars (Green, Yellow & Red), one hopper (Blue), and a white & blue caboose. The graphics are "cute", but annoying at the sametime. They kinda take away some element of class from the locomotive. In my humblest of opinions.

Another question. I used the smoke generator on the loco once and it seemed to work fine. I tried to use it again last night and noted that I couldn't insert the oil syringe into the small tube in the center of the stack. Almost like it was plugged or something. I heeded the warning label on the instructions which stated that running it dry could cause the smoke stack to melt. So I did not run it dry and turned it off afterwards. Is there anything I can do to "unplug" it?
  3. msowsun

msowsun Member

I just finished my kitbash of last years President's Choice IHC 4-6-4 "Mini Chef's" CNR Hudson. I decided to backdate it to a time before it had the semi-streamlining skirts installed. It is a pretty basic conversion. I just added an all-weather cab and used the Bachmann "Hicken" Vanderbilt tender. I also lowered the front pilot and changed the pilot steps and headlight. The steam turret cover is part of an old diesel winterhatch that I had lying around.

I still need to figure out a way to make the weird "smoke lifter" that covers the smoke stack and I might try to fabricate a new cover to replace the one that goes on the pilot below the boiler.

Mike sowsun
    Oakville, Ontario

Here are some photos.......Before, after and prototype........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. radar

radar Member

? Loblaws must be a Canadian thing?.
  5. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

What all weather cab did you use?
  6. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Mike: I'm impressed -- well done! I also enjoyed seeing the historical pics as well. I haven't done anything to my loco. I like how these models run well and are nice and heavy. Cheers, Rob
  7. msowsun

msowsun Member

I used the Precsision Scale cab. When I painted it, the plastic crazed so I had to sand off all the deatails to remove the crazing. This actually worked to my advantage because the protoytpe cab was welded and had no rivets.
  8. msowsun

msowsun Member

Kemtron/Prescision Scale cab before and after I had to sand off all the details....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

That looks really good. You're going to make me want to do the same thing to my PC Hudson.
  10. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Thanks, I've got both a hudson and a pacific that I'm looking at vestibule cabs for.