Loads for two open cars ???

Years ago when I was not specified in 1900 era I added this tube load to a modern 60' flatcar.

Click in picture for seeing more details.

I have given this model to a friend with my concentrating to older models. But now this model returned and I will not give it to friends again or sell it.
However today I’m not sure if this fixing of big tubes will be very close to the railroading practice in sixties or seventies of last century or should I make a rebuilding to present time? I know that today are used steel bands binding the tubes together. Or is this more a textile or plastic band?
I think that these stakes are a necessity to hold such a bundle in this position. However I’m not sure about use of the twisted steel wire which gives this stack a well fixed form. All horizontal forces and movements of single stakes will be eliminated by these bracing wires and the load is saved against movement or loss. However I know also that such a fixing was a very practicable method here in Germany in last century. How was fixed such a tube load in USA? How should I change the load fixing?
Who knows pictures of former time when such 60’ flat cars were new in service and how does looking this today? Thank you very much for your help and ideas.

With returning a few models I got back also this 65' mill gondola which I build from a kit and I love this modeling job also after a time of 20 or 25 years.

Mill-gondola.jpg

What for an interesting load could I add? I know the idea with loading of a side wall of steel bridges however this will be the common solution. Have you ideas for other more interesting loads and their fixing? However it should be a larger construction, not two ore three pieces of smaller loads. I think also that it could be a larger construction so that I need two additional flatcars for a save transporting. Please give me your assistance also here and thank you all beforehand for pictures, links, hints, ideas or private mails.
I'm sure that I will show you her in forum the result of this modeling job.

Please do not post pictures here in forum without your full copy rights. When you know such pictures or documents than post only the links here or send them as private mail, please. Thank you.

Bernhard

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
ACTUALLY... That flat car is pretty close to spot on for UP cars loaded with pipe in the mid 1960's to 1980's. As for the load, the braqcing is actually pretty close to if not right on for bracing of metal pipes. I would just change out the chains with metal banding or steel cable. Metal banding would be steel about as thick as posterboard and about 2" wide (black). Nowadays, they'd likely place that kind of load on a bulkhead flatcar so if the load was to shift. I have seen large pipe loaded on 89' TTX flatcars here locally but those were usually in solid unit trains or long cuts in other trains with an empty autorack or something similar to use between those cars and the locomotives as a buffer in case a load shifted, which was very much a possibility with loads of pipe.

Any other questions, just ask. I don't have all the answers, but I'll do what I can. I actually work with a lot of plastic pipe loads on bulkhead flats at work.

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
Black electrical tape works really well for simulating steel banding - it's got the right amount of sheen and the proper texture, unlike Chartpak tape. Stick it to a piece of styrene and cut strips to the width you need, then apply.