LL SW1200 Wormgear Problems

NYC1956

Jul 14, 2004
Here is how...

I have done 8 of these. It is not too difficult; just use some care. It helps to have the right tools. I finally bought a NorthWest Short Lines SensiPress. It is the perfect tool for this task. You can also improvise.

You need to make a jig on which to press the brass worm off the supplied shaft. If you have a drill press and drill press vise, that would work nicely. Invert a drill bit of smaller diameter (than the shaft) in the chuck, mount the gear vertically in the vise and use the chuck as a press arbor. The shaft will smoothly exit the gear. Do not try to pound out the shaft, it will enlarge the hole in the worm rendering it useless. If you don't have access to these tools, maybe you can improvise something similar.

The original Life-Like plastic worms are easy to remove. Just grab tightly with your fingers and pull with a slight twisting motion.

The brass worm can then be pressed onto the motor shaft. Again, you may to improvise some kind of fixture to hold the worm square to the shaft while you squeeze the shaft into the worm, maybe using a vise or drill press.

Good luck with your project. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better your switcher will run with the brass worms. Mine now run very smoothly and quietly.

Mike

Secret Weapon

Jan 2, 2004
E-L Country,NJ
Visit site
Hey,
I had a friend,once, & he did 2 engines for me.They run absolutely wonderful :thumb: He does his as so as he get them.You will not believe that these great little runners are LL. :eek: Just make sure to put jewelers rouge on the gears,before you put back on the frame.You can use a small polishing wheel on a Dremel.Then put back together again.Mine run about 2-3 ties a minute. :D :thumb: Mike

NYC1956

Jul 14, 2004
I don't know that there is a generic "problem". It is just that the Life-Like worms are plastic, and they don't run as true as machined brass worms.

Mathieu didn't say what originally caused his "problem", just that he needed help retrofitting the Kato brass worms.

The only problems I have heard in the past were with bent or broken contacts, and motors that did not seat properly causing the worms to not mesh properly with the gears. The brass worms don't fix any of those problems; they only improve the smoothness and quietness of the mechanism.

Mike

MagicMan_841

May 10, 2003
Quebec City, Qc
www23.brinkster.com
The problem I have is big noise coming from I dunno where. I figured it had to be the worms. It started doing the noise (like a buzz saw) after a small 1 inch fall...

I managed to get the brass worms on but they're all stripped so my problem is still there. Even worst now the engine barely runs at all.

NYC1956

Jul 14, 2004
MagicMan_841 said:
The problem I have is big noise coming from I dunno where. I figured it had to be the worms. It started doing the noise (like a buzz saw) after a small 1 inch fall...

I managed to get the brass worms on but they're all stripped so my problem is still there. Even worst now the engine barely runs at all.
Uh-Oh. See my previous post. It sounds like there is not enough clearance between the worms and the gears in the trucks. You need to shim the motor up slightly to prevent the worms from binding.

Mike

GRSJr

Jun 29, 2004
Raleigh, NC
home.att.net
Why not return the loco to Life-Like for repair? They'll
most likely send you a whole new engine for free.

Just call 1-800-638-1470 to make the arrangements.
Ask for a new worm gear and they'll send you an engine.

Beats paying for the brass worms and then having the hassle of installing them.

Ray

Life Like, as i'm sure you all know, have GREAT service.

I e-mailed them asking how much a new C-liner N-scale frame would be. My signature on my e-mail includes my mailing address (when it works) and lo-n-behold, a week later, there was a box for me from a place i didn't know. i opened it and it was a new frame with a bill:

Frame: $0.00
Insurance for full value: $0.00
Shipping and Handeling: $0.00
TOTAL: $0.00

i checked my e-mail and there was a reply saying "Hope you enjoy it...i look forward to helping you whenever i can"

If you can't fix it, send it back to them and all will be made right at little to no charge.