LL cracked gears ..alive and well

metalfrog

Apr 21, 2006
northeast kansas
well i knew beforehand about the cracked gear problem and the easy fix.got a great deal on two proto gp30's.guess what....every axle in both loco's had the gear's cracked.sent an e-mail to customer service at walther's and received an e-mail the next day saying the gear's would be replace.sure enough i received the gear's along with the wheel's four day's later.loco's run great now.larry t at walther's and other's are to be commended IMO for this excellent service.i know sometime's it's hard to get customer service but walther's sure came through for me.:thumb: terry....

coachC

Feb 6, 2006
Alabama
Did you buy the locos from Walthers? If not is it ethical to buy locos somewhere else and then get the parent company to replace bad parts or is this something that Walthers does?

cajon

LAJ #1 at Engine House
Sep 16, 2004
Santa Fe Springs CA
From what I've seen on other boards about the broken gears on P2Ks, it doesn't matter to Walthers where the model was purchased. It's a defect in their product and they are going to stand by their product no matter where or how it was aquired. Sounds like a company that needs our support right? Their service is a whole lot better than another big MR manufacturer who doesn't even carrying any spare parts, especially when they literally fall off. You guys probably know which MR company that is.

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
does anyone have any pics of these bad gears,,, i have a proto2000 that was real jerky when starting to move from day one,, it finally got so bad i couldnt run it so I tore into it,, I checked all the gears and couldnt find anything that looked bad but might have missed it,,,,, ,thanks,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,,,, st

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
cyclingshane73 said:
Ummm...how old are these loco's? Brand new, a few months old. I picked up a couple of new ones. Should I be worried?

Good question!

I have heard the more recently issued (vs recently bought!) P2Ks don't have this problem - I would like to hear any evidence yea or nay about this from P2K owners.

metalfrog

Apr 21, 2006
northeast kansas
coachC said:
Did you buy the locos from Walthers? If not is it ethical to buy locos somewhere else and then get the parent company to replace bad parts or is this something that Walthers does?
walther's own's LL(proto2k) if you buy a proto loco,regardless of where you buy it,walther's will take care of warranty issuse's.the cracked gear's can easily be seen with a magnifier.where the wheel is pushed onto the axle is where the crack usually is.you can also take a very small screwdriver and run the blade around the axle and you'll be able to find the crack easily.terry

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
sidetracked said:
does anyone have any pics of these bad gears,,, i have a proto2000 that was real jerky when starting to move from day one,, it finally got so bad i couldnt run it so I tore into it,, I checked all the gears and couldnt find anything that looked bad but might have missed it,,,,, ,thanks,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,,,, st
All it takes is a hairline crack across the gear. I have a GP30 that had all 4 of the gears cracked. It shook and vibrated so bad that it jumped off the track at low speed!. I had an old Athearn F7 with a burned out motor on the work bench. I just pulled the axle/wheelsets from it and dropped them into the GP30 and it ran perfect. It's been almost a year now and it still runs great.

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
ok,,, not to sound too stupid but this crack is actually on the wheels and not in the drive gears that drive the wheels,, ,, is that right,,,,, ,,,,,, ok, maybe that was stupid but just wanted to make sure,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st

metalfrog

Apr 21, 2006
northeast kansas
sidetracked said:
ok,,, not to sound too stupid but this crack is actually on the wheels and not in the drive gears that drive the wheels,, ,, is that right,,,,, ,,,,,, ok, maybe that was stupid but just wanted to make sure,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st
the crack is not on the metal wheel,rather on the plastic hub that the wheel goes into.terry..

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
i have a gp18 by proto 2000 ( i do not have my models handy in another country still have to bring back to canada) anyways it had cracked grears, i called life like soon as it stopped running and I arranged for replacement grears to be sent but they decided to have me send my unit back in for repair or replacement. they replaced the broken parts and replaced the detail parts as a whole kit because i had not put any details on the model. i was very pleased with the service and i will buy more of their models

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
stuart_canada said:
it was with older models, the problems were fixed very quick in the next mdoels that came out

I think they had a batch of gears that were made of the wrong plastic. When they discovered the problem, they changed gears for subsequent production runs, but they know that their are some locos in customer's hands with the bsad gears, and they will fix any that are sent in or send out the gears for the customer to do the repairs on.

hd8091

May 20, 2004
I've had to replace the gears on two sets of FA-2 s and two older GP-18s.I just bought a bunch of replacement gears from Athearn to have on hand, I started having problems just after Walthers bought LL and they didn't know where any of the spare parts were. They are cheap enough and it is a lot easier then waiting to get some shipped.
Tom

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hah! I was looking for this thread yesterday, but couldn't find it. :confused: I have a GP-7 that I'm repairing for a friend. All four axle gears are split, and I thought that I had seen somewhere that Athearn gears were a drop-in replacement. Never-the-less, I e-mailed Walthers, and hope to hear from them soon. They are to be commended for standing behind this product, especially since the defective gears were on models produced before Walthers' acquisition of Life-Like. :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is the symptom of the problem? One of my NIB P2K GP 9 locos makes this little clunk clunk sound when I run it on the test track I built. It came to my mind that it may have this problem. Does that sound about right?

I'm shooting off an e-mail to Walthers any ways. See if maybe they can help.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Yeah, that sounds like about the same symptoms as the one I've got, although this one doesn't run well at all: lots of stuttering and quite bouncy.:rolleyes:
Walthers replied very promptly to my e-mail and the replacement gears are on the way. :thumb: In my opinion, their reaction to this problem has been a very classy one, and sure to go a long way to keep, or even gain, customers.
If you need to check yours, just flip the loco over (gently :D ) and use a small screwdriver to pop the cover off the bottom of each truck. you may have to remove each wheelset to find the cracks, which run across the width of the axle, either all or part-way across. Three of mine were split from side-to-side, and the fourth about halfway. Walthers will ask how many wheelsets are split, but I suggest that you replace all of the wheelsets, split or not, as it's only a matter of time before any unsplit ones do split.

Wayne