Live steam "Ruby"

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hawkeye2, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Slick,

I would be glad to show you some pictures, but most of the ones of it running are to big to put on here, Maybe if you give me your email, I could send them to you if you want.
    As for how its done, First you need some 2" pipe(copper.) Then you need to cut and bend it to form a firebox, and rivit it, and then use silver solder to mount it to the boiler and then make a burner and a water glass so you can keep it from running dry. The burner will run on diesel fuel or rubbing alcohol. I like the diesel fuel better, but it is more work to clean. If you want more detailed information then I'll go into more detail. Well, please let me know what you think. Their are other pictures of some of the other mods that I've done on this forum; if you want you can see them by doing a search for "ruby".

Thank You,
    Tomsz

Attached Files:

• d21.jpg
      d21.jpg
      File size:
      9.9 KB
      Views:
    • d22.jpg
      d22.jpg
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
    • d23.jpg
      d23.jpg
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
    • d24.jpg
      d24.jpg
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

diesel fuel? wow that is interesting, how would that work? I havent heard of that before.
  3. Slick

Slick New Member

Tomsz, you can send me your info on this "Diesel" conversion to "Deleted":cry: Make sure the header or subject states" Ruby Diesel". I applaud your willingness to share your work, I'll be looking forward to your reply...... while you are at it, check my bio, I too have some interesting backround. Have a good night, Slick.
  4. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

I like my steam engines to burn diesel fuel instead of butane gas so it can run longer, cheeper, and in much colder weather. The only thing is, it is much more work to clean the flues and you get much more smoke when running. Well, if you tune the burner very well you can get much less smoke, but I like the way it looks.

Thank You,
    Tomsz

Any more questions, feel free to let me know.
  5. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

IF you want more pictures, there should be more in the forum.
    Tomsz

If not, let me know if you want them.
  6. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I want too see pictures of it, does it smoke like coal fired?
  7. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Livesteam,

It smokes more than some coal engines, depending on how you set the burner. If you want some pictures I can email you. Just give me your email and I can try and send some of the pictures to you. I tried to post them here, but it says their to big.

Have a great Day,
    Tomsz
  8. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Slick,

I sent you the email, Did you get it? I hope I sent it right. What do you think of the pictures?
    Thank You for your time,
    Tomsz
  9. Slick

Slick New Member

Tomsz, not as of yet....Please try again at your convienance. Again, Thanks for your help, Slick.
  10. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Hi,

It looks like the email system at Sprint is not working, I tried three times to send the pictures out to both of you and it kept saying that their server was down. So I'll try some more times this afternoon. Sorry, just wanted to let you guys know what was going on.

Thank You,
    Tomsz
  11. Slick

Slick New Member

No problem Tomsz...... keep trying. BTW, take a look over at MyLargeScale.com . They have a Ruby "Master Class" going on, I'm sure that the Diesel Conversion would be of great interest to all of these fellows........Please mark down my e-address, I will remove it from view tomorrow, keeps the Spam down........ (Wonderful Spam, wonderful Spam spam, spam spam......)
  12. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Slick......... will you be going to NJLS meet in oct?
  13. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

The email train pictures were sent out today, I hope it worked this time, Please let me know.
    Thank you for your time.
    Tomsz
  14. Slick

Slick New Member

Hello Livesteam..... NJLS in October..... got to check, if work allows me to go I 'd like to. We shall see.....
  15. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Slick & Livesteam, the new jersey track is a great place to go and visit. If a member or a guest is willing to they will let you run their engine. I have known a guy who went there every year until he moved to texas. Have a good time there. Slick hope you get to go, it will be worth it.
  16. Slick

Slick New Member

Well, another unsolved mystery.......has anybody ever actually designed, built and successfully run a Deisel Powered Ruby? Or for that matter a deisel(oil) burning G-1 Live steamer that can be photographed in the wild or in captivity?

Notice! The Pic's Have Arrived! Saturday Evening, Thanks Tomsz.....:wave:
  17. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Slick,

I sent you the pictures three times.I guess this means you didn't get them. The other three people that I sent the pictures to got them, so I think they are going to the wrong place, or I'm thinking of anther Slick and I still haven't recieved the confermation on your email address.O, and yes, their are some pictures of my live steam Ruby diesel running on this thread. Please send me your email address so I can try anther time to send them to you.You can email it to me, so you don't have to put it on the forum.

Thank You, Have a great Day,
    Tomsz

tsava01@sprintpcs.com
  18. Slick

Slick New Member

Has any one recieved these photo's from Tomsz, the Diesel burning Ruby? Still curiuos, and with a fully operating E-mail address and system.......
  19. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I have recived them, and it is nice, if i do go to NJLS my freinds dad owns a 7 1/4 hudson and he said i can run it.
  20. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Slick,

I still haven't recieved the email address from you yet. Are you going to send it? I tried to send you an email from here,but the forum read that you had it locked out;the forum read that the only way is for the administrator to send you one.As noted before, I'm using my parents email to send the pictures, due to Sprint's Email system not fully working,( still not letting me send out emails), but it seems that I can still get emails with it. Well, I'm trying to check my email every hour for you today, so if you still want them, like noted above, Please send me your email or post it on the forum, or send me a personal messege on the forum if you don't want other people to know your email. I'm going out of my way trying everything I know of to help you to get them, If you know of a better way or different way please let me know and I can try it. O, and I was wondering if you were the Slick1 from the other forum? Maybe I'm getting them confused.

Have a great day,
    Tomsz
    tsava01@sprintpcs.com or
    savaconniedctnd@adelphia.net