LIS Space Pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFrost

well figured it was about time I gave it a try and actually made something ,:eek: Soooooo , as this is the 1st am going to show I decided to make it something I truly love, a Lost in Space item.
lispod011.jpg

A very pretty design from Ron, VBg, and yes I have seen him on the board so I can say that despite what he says about it only being a beta its pretty dang complete, course , the mistakes are all mine :twisted: mostly because I did this as a test of just how much i could mess it up , and make notes to myself so the NEXT one will be right along with colored edges and any other ideas i get from everyone.
lispod009.jpg

For the beginning it seemed to be going pretty good, was taking my time , and I did try a a Uhu glue stick before on a Ebble`s model i had made and didn't like the glue, so this time was trying some Staples brand purple stuff that dried clear along with good old Elmer's
lispod014.jpg

then as i looked at it , i realized , a yep my dyslexia had kicked in again and i had installed the rear door backwards :p
lispod013.jpg

Along with several other little parts it seems, the small dish in front was supposed to be a moon crater style type and the panel was supposed to be sticking out as well. wall1 Ah well , at least I can say was planing to make 2 of these , lol, and am making notes to write a how to for myself.
Finagled the door part out and used the force hamr to get back in <along with liberal Elmer`s>
lispod018.jpg

Sitting on the pad Alpha Control waiting refitting, or more likely the big galoots fingers to loosen up enough he can add some more parts. Looking like the Pod now. Next start building the landing struts and pads.
lispod022.jpg

dhanners

Great looking build so far. I printed one out a couple of years ago and never got around to building it. I printed it out on silver paper and normal paper, and was going to combine the parts to build the model. I did have problems with my printer cutting off the bottom of a page or two, though. No idea what I did wrong.

Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming....

Gearz

For a first model, your off to an excellent start ~ It looks great !!
* Bet we are going to see the J2 on your bench before long. ( maybe not at 1/32 scale though..lol)

:thumb:

JackFrost

thanks guys, i appreciate the vote of confidence from you , and Gearz i LOVE the Pandora !!

lots of little parts for the legs, makes for an interesting time. the pads them self i cheated :mrgreen: and cut some circles from some .8mm cardboard and then wrapped the edge skin around.
lispod024.jpg

there`s a nice little testbed jig for it to sit on to hold the pod up and show the location of the pads while fitting them, made it MUCH easier

lispod028.jpg

Course , my fingers are kind fat and stiff, working in 3 dimensions at once is a nice challenge , so the say necessity is the mother of all invention ....

lispod030.jpg

lispod033.jpg

It always amazes me when you see something like this, and when you see how much amazing detail you can get in the paper models. The power of paper is amazing , the pen is mightier then the sword? heheheheh
lispod036.jpg

back to work, next detail the pod and stuff

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Thanks Jack for the build thread

Hey Jack,
Nice looking build in spite of my sketchy assembly notes on the model pages. I knew that I would have to make some decent instructions for it though. I have a preliminary version done but it just needs some of the parts renumbered. I'll also be changing some of the numbers on the model pages to go along with the new assembly manual.

I had to make a LOT of drawings for the assembly manual so that took up the majority of my time. I had slacked off for a bit, but received an encouraging e-mail from a builder named Brian Stover, who has become a good friend and has previewed the on-going manual and kept me focused on completing it.

I should be finished with the manual and the renumbered model pages in a few days, but if someone really wants what I have so far, I don't mind posting it.

Thanks again for sharing your build experience with us, I'm sure it will help others who have been wanting to build it too. I appreciate any and all feedback to improve the clarity of building the model.

As a side note, I'm still working on the Jupiter 2 design. I got stuck on a few things and shelved it for a bit, but have since had time to think about what I need to do to overcome these areas.

Best Regards,
Ron Caudillo
ronaldcaudillo@yahoo.com

Gearz

Very nice work JackFrost ~ I don't think I've ever made a roll as crisp as that.. those struts are Excellent.
:thumb::thumb:

JackFrost

Thanks Ron , i`m enjoying the build , cheating a bit by grabbing the pictures from the site dl`ed the plans from and using them as a reference along with the plans them self. That helped a lot when i actually looked at them :twisted:
My biggest problem so far was with the side module that has the red and yellow lights, and not realizing the little white circles on some of them had to be cut out to allow the "pipes" to be inserted rather then surface mounted , grin, ala the same modules. OH and not noticing that the little round antenna on front was supposed to end up looking like a crater when i folded it sign1, am bad , my mistake. might want to add a little /\____/\ like this dummy diagram next to it.
and thanks Nothing, worked at making them as tight as i could, not sure if it was right but i have a little plastic rod i rolled them over and then just kept rolling them between my fingers to tighten them up and just put a little glue on the last turn to hold it all together.
Gearz i kinda find that hard to believe lol, if you can design them you have to be a bloody good builder and have seen your stuff for a while as i lurked in the background old bean so there VBG

so finally started sticking the itsy pieces on the pod
lispod037.jpg

and the rear ladder
lispod040.jpg

and the retros and piping detail over it pretty much done at that point. looking close you can see the trouble i had with the module that the red an yellow light sit on, and i totally missed that i had to cut out the hole the "pipe" had to slide into the top and ended up cutting it in place.
lispod042.jpg

All in all , was fun, made mistakes and learned a lot, am definitely going to build it again to improve it after Ron releases the next version :thumb: along with the J2 <hint hint hint>

now all i need to do is figure out how to convert this awesome lwo LandMaster mesh to fold that i found and i will be in heaven :lol:

davelant

The build requires a little thought, due to minimal instructions, but it builds up great and makes me happy when I look at. Jack has already pointed out the challenging bits. Thanks, Ron!

Attachments

• space pod build 1 copy.jpg
    space pod build 1 copy.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 39
  • space pod build 2.jpg
    space pod build 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 25
  • space pod build 3.jpg
    space pod build 3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 21

JackFrost

looks good davelant :thumb: Nice job on the Antenna and catching the back word panel i did , your modules on the side look nice and clean .

hehehehe Ron oh ROOOOOOOOONnnnnnn hows version 2 coming?

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
LIS Space Pod Version 2

Hi all,
I have good news, and well...I'll explain.

The version 2 Space Pod is finished along with a detailed instruction manual!

There are no real changes to to model itself other than to renumber them to match the assembly manual. I also cleaned up the model pages and eliminated redundant stuff that is in the assembly manual.

I have sent out the new version and assembly manual as a coutesy to the 2 original sites that helped me by hosting it when I had just started out. All of my future new stuff will be hosted by the great guys at PENDERCRAFTS and I have sent them the updated model as well. When the web sites get the new version up, you can download the updated version at:

My Sci Fi Stuff
Click on the "Download paper cut-out model of the Space Pod here!" link.

The B9 Robot Builders Club
Hover the mouse on the CLUB GALLERY tab
Click on the "MISCELLANEOUS" selection
Scroll down the page and click on the "SPACE POD" link

FS Models Screensavers and Splashscreens
There will be a page devoted to downloads of all of my models.

I hope this makes the model more enjoyable for all.

Best Regards,

P

peter taft

Hi... Just stummbled on this thread and must say what a brillant model you've made.....cool :thumb:

Ron Caudillo

Staff member
Thanks Peter!
Now if I can just get time to complete all the other stuff I've started!

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.