LIS Jupiter 2 anywhere?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dhanners, May 14, 2007.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of a card model of the Jupiter 2 from the old "Lost in Space" TV series. The design seems so straightforward (said David, who has never, ever designed a card model...) and I've got to think it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to design and build.

Does anyone know of a card model of the J2?
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

There is/was one long ago. It was pretty well detailed, but only b/w.
    Not sure where it came from. I just know it was out there.

Ray
  3. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

I have that one; actually looks pretty complicated; it includes parts for the interior of the ship. It was probably intended for coloring. PM me your email address and I can send it to you.
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'd like one of those as well. PM sent.:grin:
  5. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Jupiter 2 in work

I am currently designing the Jupiter 2 (have been for a while). Progress, however is slow due to a multitude of reasons. I am detailing the upper deck and will have a removable top (similar to the Polar Lights design). The big problem in designing this model is that the interior sets were built without any regard to the actual exterior size of the ship, and therefore will not physically fit inside unless some fudging is done (this is the main reason I have decided not to detail the lower deck).

Vinicio Munoz originally started designing the Jupiter 2 (with a detailed upper deck) paper model which I built. I e-mailed him and asked him if he was going to finish it and he has graciously allowed me to use his ideas to help in my design. Unfortunately, Vinicio has no plans to finish his Jupiter 2.

I have purchased the DVDs for reference material and have based my schematics on Ron Gross' drawing that he generously sent me. Ron did the cover art for the Polar Lights kit and submitted blueprints to help them design thier version.

I already have the Space Pod finished and plan to design a chariot and robot as well, both in large size and in scale with the Jupiter 2.

Please be patient, I will get this done. You can see in-progress pictures at http://www.pendercrafts.com
    Click on the blue "click here to enter site" link at the bottom center of the home page.
    Click on the "COLLECTIONS" button
    Click on the "RON CAUDILLO" button under JUPITER-2 PAPER MODEL

Pendercrafts have been very generous in providing me with additional reference material and have added me to thier staff. They will be hosting all of my models as well.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Shoot, can't see it. The site tries to run an update and my security stops it.:(
  7. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

That's the one I have.
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

When I follow your links and instructions, Ron, I wind up with this little blue box with question marks on it. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Ideally, it'd be nice to have a fairly simple line-drawing design of the J2 that could be printed out onto silver paper. I've got a stash of silver paper I found at an art-supply store that would be perfect for it. Designing one myself is far beyong my meager (or, more accurately, non-existent) computer-design abilities.

And, personally, I wouldn't care too much to have an interior. Just the outer shell would do....
  9. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

10. Ron Caudillo

Problem viewing in-progress photos of J2

Hi all,
    I just tried the link I gave for Pendercrafts and all works well for me. I'm using XP and IE6.

Since the exterior on my J2 model is built up around the completed interior, the skins will be the last to get fitted because I have integrated the section dividers into the exterior support structure. I might look into making just a simple exterior model, but right now I don't want to interrupt my projects any more with a new one. I hope you understand. If anyone wants a stab at it, I can send my drawings to you. They are drawn up in AutoCad (full size!), but I can export in .dwg, .dxf, PDF, or any picture format you want.

Thanks for your inquiry, I appreciate any and all comments.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Sorry Ron, the site wanted to run an active X control and I didn't allow it. I went back and let the control run and saw the gif like series of photos. Verry nice. Is this the one I got from Jaybats, or is this of your own construction?

I'd really like to see this finished. It's a very nice model and the exterior would look great in chrome cardstock.

How are things going on your shuttlepod? Do you have a thread on that?
  12. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

If you can generate ortho views on JPG, Ron, I can work on a simple no-frills model.
  13. Ron Caudillo

J2 JPGs

I'll be happy to send you some drawing JPGs to work with. Just give me a few days, the home system crashed and I lost EVERYTHING. Fortunately I have 99.9% backed up on my computer at work.

Thanks for the interest.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  14. Ron Caudillo

Jupiter 2 drawings for Jaybats

Hey Jaybats (or anyone else who wants this),
    Here is a JPG exterior drawing I extracted from the Jupiter 2 AutoCAD model that I am designing (and is featured at www.pendercrafts.com).

This is to help you create an exterior model. If you need size details or angles, I can give you that, but you should be able to measure directly from the JPG. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

By the way, I built Venicio Munoz's Jupiter 2 a while back and have pictures of the build in progress is anyone is interested.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  15. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

This is how it looks thus far, will still need to work on the texture map to allow for printing on silver cardstock. To make it large enough, each level of the the saucer section may have to be split into 3 parts.
  16. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Jupiter 2

Hi Jaybats,

Have you finished the Jupiter 2 model yet Please??

Sincerely

Tom
  17. Ron Caudillo

Hey Jaybats,
    The model is looking GREAT. I am having the same problem- having to split up parts because making the model in any decent size requires this.

Looking forward to this model from you. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  18. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Sorry for the delay, folks, getting extremely busy... I had a spot of trouble with the textures, they just wouldn't round out properly. Then, after printing off a small-scale version i decided to add optional landing gear...the large scale version will have to wait a few more days. If you wish, a small-scale version that can be printed on 3 sheets is ready (assembles to about 6.5 cm high). Getting the faces to divide properly has turned out to be very tedious because of the number of faces to make a curve...not so simple after all!
  19. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Jupiter 2

Hi Jaybats,

The model Is looking absolutley Beautiful! I can't wait till you finish It. I will wait for the large model.

Sincerely

Tom:grin:
  20. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

jupiter 2

thats neat, one of my all time favorites. And yes , i would humbly beg of you the small scale version if i could , and no i have no pride in asking for the J2 :twisted: . It will be added to the collection with the others including the plastic one and the full scale one when you finish it . all i can say is
    DAnger DAnger

Awesome work Jaybats