Liquid Electrical Tape?

Jim Cullen

Hi guys,
I just started my new layout after selling the first due to heart attack, retirement and moving. All is well now and the new small layout is at the point that the trackwork and basic wiring is done. If it ever stops raining, the next step will be to move it outside to spray the track.

I thought that would be a good time to check and cleanup the soldering joints in the wiring under the layout. I've seen a product in catalogs called "liquid electrical tape" that you brush on electrical joints to insulate and seal them.

Anyone used this stuff? How well does it work? Jim

wendell

Hi Jim I use it and it works well the only thing is make sure that no little wire is sicking out of jiont It is kinda sticky but dry fairly hard and then use second coat

Tyson Rayles

Welcome to the Gauge Jim! Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have never heard of the stuff but will be sure to check it out.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Welcome, and glad to see you're doing OK now.

I haven't used it but have heard of it. I would say it would be OK to use on low voltage low current stuff, but I wouldn't use it to mechanically hold the joint together. Solder first, then insulate with it.

Don

Jim Cullen

Hi guys; Thanks. It is good to have trains running again.

Don; The joints are all soldered and I was looking for a better way to prevent different wires from shorting together. Regular electrical tape tends to unravel easily on small wires. Guess I could have used connectors, or joiners, but didn't.

Clerk

I use "Star brite Liquid Electrical Tape". I like it as it does the job and dabs on with an applicator. Only thing, clean off excess on the dabber as you would a paint brush and have something to catch the drips. It comes in differect colors. I have white and picked it up at True Value Hardware, Also, Home Depot and Lowes carries it also.

coachsig

Jim,

I have used the liquid tape and it does perform well with two exceptions...drying time and it is sticky until it dries...second, if you are working around styrofoam be careful...kinda' like 'carrying' gasoline in a styrofoam cup...it dissolves the cup!!

Coachsig

Ben H

Yes Jim it works very well -- just work with the drips and drying time.

The other thing that was interesting is that it comes in colors - didn't know that - only color I seen at Home Depot or Hardware stores in Canada is black. I going to have to get out more and check the color palette for wiring joints.

Jim Cullen

Thanks guys. Sounds likes good stuff to use. I will check the local hardware, and boating, stores in the area. Good to know about keeping it away from foam, but the wiring I have right now is under the plywood supporting the track.

I'll use foam for scenery support, but did not want to lay track directly on foam; but that's a whole other topic in itself.

Jim in "when's it going to stop raining" West Virginia...