Lionel transformer not working right with a mth gg-1

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Sun Downer, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Sun Downer

Sun Downer New Member

Hi I'm new here and I'm trying to run a MTH gg-1 with a 3 posistion electronic reverse with a lionel cw 80 transformer. The problem I'm having is that the direction button won't cycle the reverse unit. It will go into nuetral and never cycle out of it. It seems like the direction button is not cutting out all the voltage. The reverse unit cycles fine on a transformer without a direction button just using the throttle. The transformer direction button works an the lionel train that came with the set. Any ideas on how to get these two to work together?
    Thanks,
    Carl
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

You are not the only one with this type of problem. :cry:

It is the CW80 transformer. It uses what is called a crop sine wave and also it does not go to 0 volts. This has become a very poor design on Lionels part. You will find many other engines beside MTH that will have a problem with this transformer. :eek:

At some point in time, you will have to replace it with a better design transformer. So you might as well do it now. :thumb:
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'm grasping for straws here, but maybe this could help solve the mystery? If I remember right, aren't all of the rails on MTH Realtrax isolated? Fastrack has the two outside rails connected together.

That shouldn't make a difference, but sometimes if you add enough "shouldn'ts" together you make a "does."
  4. Sun Downer

Sun Downer New Member

Thanks for the reply spanky bird. I did not lnow that about the lionel transformer.

Arsenal- Have you tried reversing your connections I heard if your throttle controls your horn on an mth you need to reverse your wires. It's worth a try.
    Carl
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

This is not a new problem with the CW80. It has be dicussed on both OGR and CTT forums. Lionel even did a recall on some of them. But even after the recall there still was problems with some of them.

MTH publish a news letter about them a few years back. I will see if I still have it at home.

tom
  6. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

7. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

8. Sun Downer

Sun Downer New Member

Thanks for the links I was able to fix the problem using a light.
    Thanks again.
    Carl
  9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I think I have that same engine

[​IMG]
    They are great little engines and you can't beat the price for a command controled eninge. You should try it out on a DCS layout.

I added pin strips to mine and change the tender to make it a C & O engine

[​IMG]

tom :wave: