Lionel Penn. Flyer Loco Problems...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by custom1106, Dec 30, 2006.

1. custom1106

custom1106 Member

Picked up a Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer set, went home and set it up. I like the fastrack, all my MTH stuff seems to run flawlessly on it.

Here's the problem...

Put the Lionel Loco in the track put a couple of drops of smoke fluid in the stack, and started running the train. The loco will almost stall out in the corners and speeds on the straigts. Very annoying. To keep the loco from stalling in the corners, I have to give it more juice, so when it hits the straights, It speeds and derails at the other end of the oval.

When I couple the cars up that came with it, the performance gets even worse. I even tried my MTH Z-1000 transformer on it, same problem.

Barely puffs smoke too....I'm not impressed.:rolleyes:

What's the deal?

Thanks for the info...

Custom
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

If your other trains all ran well and switching transformers didn't help, I'd say there is something loose or messed up in the loco.
  3. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Slows down in the curves

My new Penn Flyer also slows down significantly in the curves. Could a voltage drop in some parts of the track cause this? I haven't checked mine yet with a voltmeter, but I will this evening. Or is it just the increased resistance of the curve on the consist? Should the speed be uniform on the entire oval, even on the fairly tight curves?

It blows smoke OK tho.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I bought my oldest daughter a Lionel PA Flyer for Christmas. The first think I did was yo give it a little lube then placed it on the track. it ran like a champ with no problems. I never assume any mfg gives it a proper lube from the factory.

The lube may not be the problem but it is worth a check on a new locomotive.
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Yes, voltage drop can cause that. Double-check the joints on any track section that causes a slowdown. Sometimes you have to bend the pin in the middle rail to make better contact with the pin in the adjacent track. Flip the pieces over and assemble and disassemble them to see how well the pins touch. I had this problem with a couple of pieces of my Fastrack. I tightened the pins up and it's much better now.

Also, Lionel locos tend not to smoke a lot unless they're pulling a fair number of cars, Try adding more cars or more weight to the cars you have (put loads in gondolas, etc.) and it'll smoke more.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Custom: if it speeds up on the straight on the far side from the wires, it's not a voltage drop problem (voltage drop would have it run slowest on the farthest corner of the layout).
    Does it do the same if you run it the opposite direction around the loop?
  7. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

In my case...

The train slows most coming into the curve nearest the the terminal track and speeds up on the next straightaway on the opposite side going into the next curve. So, based on what you suggested, it does sound more like a lube problem than a voltage problem.

Besides the obvious outer drivewheel connections, where else should be lubed? Does anything need to be disassembled?
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There should be a little booklet that tells you where to lubricate. Most of the points should be available without taking it apart.
  9. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Lube

Yes, indeed, there is. That was too simple. Thanks!
  10. custom1106

custom1106 Member

Not a voltage problem, the MTH stuff runs great. Might look into this lube deal.

Thanks for the info...

Custom
  11. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Voltage fine - lube did the trick

Thanks all. I gave the engine a little clarinet key oil (very fine grade oil - like sewing machine oil - I would think that would be OK.) And there was a significant improvement in speed consistency. I checked the track for voltage and it is the same at the point of the terminal track as well as 1/4 way around where the slowdown previously occurred. :)
  12. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm happy to see we got one of the trains working. Any luck with yours Custom?
  13. custom1106

custom1106 Member

My local hobby shop is out of lube for these. I live right across the street from an ACE hardware, would they have anything that would work? I don't want to mess this thing up...

Also the loco growls. It seems to take alot of juice to get it going, then it growls in the corners.
  14. Cannonball

Fishing real grease.
    Works wonders on my engines.
  15. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I've heard of others using fishing reel grease too. As far as hardware store/auto parts store type stuff, lithium grease is fine and any light oil (plastic compatible is better but not strictly necessary if you have metal locomotives). 3-in-1 is fine, automotive oil is fine.
  16. Cannonball

Actually, The Gauge is where I got the idea for the reel grease. I used reel oil for the inside of the engine and reel grease for the gears. Runs like a top.
  17. custom1106

custom1106 Member

A little dab'll do ya. It's amazing what proper lubrication will do for a loco. All fixed.

Thanks a bunch...

Custom