Lionel model 736 will not go into reverse

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by marsRR, Dec 16, 2005.

1. marsRR

marsRR New Member

Hello, I dug out the train my father gave me some 39 odd years ago for christmas this year and it set up fine but the train will not reverse. There is a small lever above the engine and when you slid it all the way it will buzz but still runs forward only. The model is Lionel 736 with tender. I assume this lever puts in in reverse?

sorry to sound stupid,
  2. CommodoreVander

CommodoreVander New Member

Make sure you are using AC power (i.e. the transformer which came with the train set). Try sliding the lever in the other direction - you should have forward-neutral-reverse functioning (the lever is the on/off switch for the electronic reverse unit ("e-unit") which changes the direction when power is interrupted. If this doesn't work, the e-unit may be malfunctioning - among other things than can become "magnetized" over time and stop working. If that's the problem, I'd take it to a Lionel service station (many hobby shops that specialize in Lionel trains are also service stations - if not they can usually tell you where one is) to have the e-unit repaired or replaced.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The lever that you were adjusting is for adjsuting the "E" unit. It can lock the engine in either the forward, netural, or reverse. It should be somewhere in the middle. You may have to play with it to adjust correctly.

Now there is a chance that the 'E' unit is stuck and needs a cleaning. :confused:

Here is a link that may help you

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=112

:wave:
  4. marsRR

marsRR New Member

Thanks for the great info. It looks as if this unit changes the field or something not an actual gear change. When looking straight at the locomotive and slide the unit to the left the this unit buzzes but still will move forward (only). I'm going to try and take it apart tomorrow.

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Mars: does it buzz the same way if the lever is to the left or the right? All it does is make or not make a connection on the E unit. One of mine became loose on the pivot and didn't connect.
    The E unit works by gravity against electro-magnet. The mechanism may have gotten stuck in storage. I've never tried to get into one.
    Olsen's toys has a site with most Lionel instruction sheets.
  6. marsRR

marsRR New Member

Thanks David. It only buzzs while the lever is slid to the one side and while accelerating the engine. It is on the left side while looking at the engine from the front. It also connects in that position.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

missed your reply last night. Sounds as if the e-unit is trying to work but not making it.

off topic: please check your power cords. After 40 years the insulation may go brittle and crack or fall off. This is a safety hazard.
  8. marsRR

marsRR New Member

Thanks David. Someone told me to buy some Electra Clean at the local hardware store and spray it out with that. I hope it won't melt any non metal parts.
  9. marsRR

marsRR New Member

Thanks David. Someone told me to buy some Lectra Clean at the local hardware store and spray it out with that. I hope it won't melt any non metal parts.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I just looked at the diagram on Olsens Toys. That shows the E unit as having a ratchet mechanism with a pawl pulled up by an electromagnet.