Lionel Fast-Track the best?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lionel-Ritchie, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Lionel-Ritchie

Lionel-Ritchie New Member

I'm comparing Lionel Fast-Track to other plastic ballasted systems like MTH's RealTrax. I like the fact that MTH uses a solid, realistic rail and a less visibile black third rail. But everyone keeps telling me that Lionel is the best of the best in model trains. Is this true? Is the RealTrax a good system? Thanks.
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

3. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Lionel snaps and stays togeter better I think. I like its looks too but that means little.
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Lionel snaps and stays togeter better I think. I like its looks too but that means little.
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The MTH track is harder to assemble and I've heard some complaints that it doesn't take to disassembly and reassembly well, but if you set it up on a layout permanently it might be OK. This is secondhand, so take it for what it's worth.
  6. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

Both track systems have their merits.

I personally dislike the black center rail on any of the systems. It is only diminished in appearance if the ballast is very dark in color. Both molded ballasts for Fastrack and Raaltrax are light gray in color, so the black rail stands out like a sore thumb. Fastrack does not have the blackened center rail.

MTH as you say has a better rail profile. Lionel is tinplate so magnetraction works.

There was a posting by a dealer on OGR forum last year (with photos) where a train he ran at his shop with MTH Realtrax ground down the flanges on a loco he ran continuously (due to the sharp rail profile) in one direction. Obviously not something the normal operator would encounter, but the photos of the remaining knife-edge flanges on the loco were pretty interesting!

Having used both in display layouts, both systems are equally noisy to me. They are both equally reliable in my experience.

Regards,
    Roy