Lionel Construction Sets

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Since it says "talk about anything" on this forum, and the subject is related directly to Lionel, I have a question.

Is there anyone on here besides me that owned what was called a "Lionel Construction Set"? Was like an A.C. Gilbert Erector Set in that you could make anything out of it.

Unlike the A.C. Gilbert sets though, you used rivets and rubber washers to put things together. The metal was square hollow tubing in the Lionel, as opposed to the A.C. Gilbert girderlike metal.

Came with whitewall tires that slipped on red rims.

It had a super motor. Had Gilbert beat on that part. This motor had an end shaft to put pulleys on to run things at high speed, and four other shafts coming out of a gearbox with two shift levers which slid back and forth to run things slow, and man, you couldn't hold those shafts back on the gearbox. Had quite a reduction. :)

I loved that set.

Anyone remember them? Anyone ever own one? Just some nostalgia to throw at you.

Have a great evening. Jack.

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi Mikey and all. Mikey, I will bet that box had latches that hung down, and you had to spin them straight up and over what I think was a screw to lock the box. Been just about 50 years, but it seems like yesterday. I could describe everything in that set darn near.

My mother insisted that my littler brother was old enough to take over my construction sets (Had two), but he wasn't. I gave them to him, and saw them on the neighbor's house roof the next day. What a shame.

I mean I kept them flawless. Still had the original cardboard over the motor after eight years. The agreement was that if I took care of the first one, my older brother would buy me another one the next Christmas. He worked for GE at that time and GE at that time was very, very much into Lionel trains and Construction Sets.

They were an unbelievable amount of fun.

Steve had Legos. Well, those are even a collectible now. They have been around a long time, just like the Lincoln Logs. All fun stuff when you are a kid. Speaking of them, what about Tinker Toys? How neat were they? Ha ha. Wow! Really going back now. Ha ha. Not Lionel, but great fun, all of them.

Mickey, Steve, and all have a nice day. Jack.

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Dick, sounds like you have a nice set there. I passed up six sets (each has most but not all of the parts) at a flea market and the lady only wanted $75.00 total. What a dummy. That is a true piece of nostalgia you have there.

Man, if it wasn't too much, I would probably be interested. Course if it is in perfect condition, it will probably go for more than I could pay, as you do need to get a real fair price for something that nice. Good luck.

Fun just reading about things like that. Have a nice Saturday all. Jack.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:wave: I don't know if this reply will go through or not since the original thread was in July. Allstate...I have been able to determine an approximate value on the Erector set at somewhere between 300 and 400 dollars. The friend of mine who owns it is not looking to get rich on it, so he'll probably sell it for the low end if someone really wants it.

Dick
Texas Chief