Lionel 072 switch question?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Ok, I'm adding two reverse loops to make second main line. The lionel switches have a constant voltage pin that is used when you use TMCC as they say the constant 18 volts is not good for the switch. The switches will activate them self with the anti derailing feature when the train goes around the loop to come back on the same track. Now, is there a way I can lower the track voltage, maybe with a resister or something, going into the constant voltage pin so I don't have to run a seperate wire all the way to the switch? I can pick up the track power with a jumper wire just ahead of the switch but I need to lower it down to about 10 volts before it gets to the pin on the switch. I can't be the only one who has ever wanted to do this.
  2. steve preston

steve preston New Member

try using the 6-14182 accessory switch controler or the 6-22980 sc-2 switch controlers to operate the switches with the hand held tmc cab -1 remote controle. these were made for this.
  3. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I keep looking at it I don't think I'm going to do it that way now. I want the train to run around without me keeping a constant eye on it and I just don't like having to rely on the two switches to work twice every loop the train makes. And the two switches have to do that always or a big wreck will happen. So I'm going to make it a dog bone instead of a loop to loop. More track work, but safer.
  4. steve preston

steve preston New Member

joe: i to am new to this train hobbie. i purchased a book called the " lionel fast track book ". this is a good starter investment for me. i found a lot of useful imformation, and it shows you how to do some basic wireing on loop to loop operations. it can be found at most hobby stores that carry lionel products. i wouldn't give up on it yet, if it's your goal to make a loop to loop, try and find a copy of this book, and it will tell you a ton of imfo.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have this book, well worth the money!
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

are you wanting to run 2 trains on one line/track? or just one train on a loop to loop?

if you just want one train to do a loop to loop then you can just use manual switches and never have to watch it, or even touch the switches, thats what im doing with fast track right now anyway.