Linux

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Hello guys,

I have noticed from time to time that some people say they are still using Windows 98 or ME. I figure you guys are doing this becuase you don't want to pay for Vista or XP. There is an alternative and I would be willing to help ANYONE willing to try it.

Linux is free, totally free. I could go on about how they update my version of linux every 6 months and it is truly effective in any way you need it to be.

Games, Xtrkcad, office, email, mp3, dvd burning, anything you want is available and much easier to get and update then windows.

I use Ubuntu linux and it is the MOST supported, used and protected form of linux IMO.

If you have any questions as to how to do this let me know and I will help.

There are some issues with installing linux but that is fixable with proper preperation, and i am more then willing to get you buggers on those OLD operating systems up to date free with no worries of copyright or breaking any laws.

Nomad

Man, are you a glutton for punishment:p
I have been interested in Linux for years and downloaded and installed it twice. The last time I managed to install it and had it operating, but that was as far as I could get. Any programs I downloaded and installed would never run. And neither would half the programs that came with it. Logging into Linux was a battle. I finally gave up and went back to windoze.
Now, I am not saying Linux is a bad program, I was way over my head and I sank like a rock.

Loren

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Punishment, hmm. :mrgreen: (there you go N-gauger)

Don't you think windows 98 is punishment ?

Ubuntu Linux has made huge advancements in especially the installation area. Ubuntu Version 7.10 has everything Vista has. 8.0 is coming out soon but installing a neww version is not a good idea,

One big advantage is you can install dual boot on installation. This mean you can run windows and linux on the same machine. WEhen you start it up there is a list to choose windows or linux so even if your pc does not agree with linux you have windows still.

Biased turkey

I have 3 harddisks on my rig.
Last week I "upgraded" from Windows 2000 to windows XP
The 2nd disk has Ubuntu and is my main operating system.
The 3rd harddisk has Linux Gentoo installed.

I'm a homebrewer so Linux as in free beer ( and free speech ) is important to me.
I started with Redhat linux about 10 years ago.

Jacques

ezdays

Out AZ way
Am I right in saying that there isn't a Linux that can run any programs written for the Windows OS? One problem is that so many people have so much invested in Windows-based software that they'd consider it money down the drain if they switched and had to find suitable substitutes. A new learning curve on an application that might not be as feature-rich.

I'm not knocking Linux by any means, I'd switch in a heartbeat if I could bring all my applications along. I do have my old computer that it might be worth trying things out though. I'll give that some serious thought.

Biased turkey

Am I right in saying that there isn't a Linux that can run any programs written for the Windows OS? One problem is that so many people have so much invested in Windows-based software that they'd consider it money down the drain if they switched and had to find suitable substitutes. A new learning curve on an application that might not be as feature-rich.

I'm not knocking Linux by any means, I'd switch in a heartbeat if I could bring all my applications along. I do have my old computer that it might be worth trying things out though. I'll give that some serious thought.

Well Don there is some Windows "emulator" running on Linux but in my opinion are not worth the trouble to install.
I use Windows exclusively for running games ( racing games such as F1 challenge 99-02 or Richard Burns rally ).

You can request a free copy of Ubuntu here:
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
It's a live CDROM so you can boot it directly , try it and are not obliged to install it on your hard disk,.

Jacques

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Live disk runs without any installation whatsoever good job BT.

Ez yes you can run most windows based programs on linux. Having said that the only trouble linux has to date is opengl graphics and that is only because of windows strangle hold on proprietary drivers. When that info becomes available the market will be even Steven.

You name a product and I will name a perfectly suitable linux version of that product or a suitable alternative. Each one of these programs will also be free. so you can look back at all those old purchases the same as that box of brass track you bought when you first got into model railroading.

Internet and Linux

I run a linux machine as my internet browser, and an XP machine for most of my applications and games.

With Linux I have never had any problems with a virus or any other internet related malady. When I ran Windows on the internet my tech made a ton of money, now I never see him anymore.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just for a a piece of FYI, I bought (as in paid for), the first version of Netscape. I kept on using Netscape even after MS introduced IE for free. I switched to Mozilla from the get-go and use Firefox exclusively. I'm proud to say that the only times I've used IE is when I'm forced to (like trying to get an old Dish Network bill), or when I'm testing something. I would be equally as proud to use a product that would keep me away from Windows, just on general principals. I hate waiting five minutes to boot or re-boot. XP does it, and Vista does it as well.:cry:

Hang tight, I've got one whole reasonably decent spare machine that I can play on.:thumb: The only problem is that it only has 512 meg of RAM. Barely enough for XP and not enough for Vista, I hope I can run Linux in that though. You guys have really got my interest perked. :wave::wave:

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Hang tight, I've got one whole reasonably decent spare machine that I can play on.:thumb: The only problem is that it only has 512 meg of RAM. Barely enough for XP and not enough for Vista, I hope I can run Linux in that though. You guys have really got my interest perked. :wave::wave:

Oh geez Ez,

Remember that word defragment, linux doesn't get smart with your files it just saves them.

512mb ram. Sure the newest version of linux is wanting more ram however i use 768mb and am very happy.

Startup, linux doesn't give programs the option to run first.

AlienKing

I play a fair share of video games, as well as do some .net devolopement, so my main system will always be a windows machine.

My home theater PC runs Mythbuntu, which is just a special build of Ubuntu that comes with MythTV and and a few other useful media programs already installed. I use it to record over-the-air HDTV, play my cd collection, up-convert DVDs, and other home theater type activities. Linux works great for this type of system. The only reason I can see to use XP MCE for this is its xbox 360 connectivity.

Mountain Man

Windows is far preferably to the new system coming out in 2009, Vista bombed. I guess Gates never heard the rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

RonP

Member of the WMRC
It is a new system ? Nah it is the same system just new license and price tag. I just hooked up JMRI with my ubuntu and am getting into a whole new world of railroading.

FiatFan

I just bought a new Dell with Vista last month. As soon as I'm comfortable that it's stable (already blue screened three times and I had to run ImageX once) I'm going to put Ubuntu on the old machine to try it out.

Tom

Biased turkey

Just for a a piece of FYI, I bought (as in paid for), the first version of Netscape. I kept on using Netscape even after MS introduced IE for free. I switched to Mozilla from the get-go and use Firefox exclusively. I'm proud to say that the only times I've used IE is when I'm forced to (like trying to get an old Dish Network bill), or when I'm testing something. I would be equally as proud to use a product that would keep me away from Windows, just on general principals. I hate waiting five minutes to boot or re-boot. XP does it, and Vista does it as well.:cry:

Don, there is some "Low resources " Linux distributions ( Distro ) such as Damn Small Linux .
DSL information

Jacques

CSXect

I am a recent convert to Linux(I have Featerlight linux) it fits on a cd and can boot from there but it is limited , all I have been able to do is surf the net and use open office so far almost downloaded ubantu but did not want to mess up my system with two os on it, till I read this thread how do you get it to let you choose which to boot up with? and yes this pc has ME and it locks up every now and then but does not do that with linux hmmmm:cool:

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I am a recent convert to Linux(I have Featerlight linux) it fits on a cd and can boot from there but it is limited , all I have been able to do is surf the net and use open office so far almost downloaded ubantu but did not want to mess up my system with two os on it, till I read this thread how do you get it to let you choose which to boot up with? and yes this pc has ME and it locks up every now and then but does not do that with linux hmmmm:cool:

Ubuntu loads from CD too (liveCD), if you want too. I use it with a dual boot on my windows machine.

I couldn't suggest another distro to anybody as I have not like the support with anything Linux before I used Ubuntu. It is by far the most widely used distro. The system requirements are substantially lower then windows vista.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ubuntu loads from CD too (liveCD), if you want too. I use it with a dual boot on my windows machine.

I couldn't suggest another distro to anybody as I have not like the support with anything Linux before I used Ubuntu. It is by far the most widely used distro. The system requirements are substantially lower then windows vista.
HHmm. could I use a thumb drive to dual boot? That would be a lot easier than burning a CD, plus it's rewritable.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
HHmm. could I use a thumb drive to dual boot? That would be a lot easier than burning a CD, plus it's rewritable.

When you install ubuntu you can do it on a partition of 10GB or more. During the installation process it automatically does this stuff for you. Just do manual partitioning follow the directions or if you run into trouble write it down, turn it off and ask here. Ill check it out or answer on the spot.

It will also automatically read the windows partition and set up dual boot for you, these options will then show up during startup.

Thumb drive i dunno. Never used one, I am thinking you would try and mount an image but I don't know if that would work.