Lightship Ambrose - Free Model Competition

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by mpakier, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DrBill

DrBill Member

Ambose

The Ambrose is at the South Street Seaport in NYC. It's on the East River (runs on the east side of Manhattan), just below the Booklyn Bridge. The East River used to be pretty disgusting. It's a lot better now, but I still wouldn't eat a fish caught there....

View attachment 9978
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I just read a news article about harnessing the rivers power for electricity generating and
    although they did not go into specifics, it said the river is cleaner now than it was 30 years ago.
    They also stated the fish are coming back there.
    Apparently, although disgusting, it used to be a lot worse.
    It must have been pretty horrible if the fish couldn't or wouldn't live there.
    I'm glad to see that there is improvement and apparently ongoing efforts to make it better.

That is one beautiful model and is going to make a striking diorama! Congrats to you!8)

Russell
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I just read a news article about harnessing the rivers power for electricity generating and
    although they did not go into specifics, it said the river is cleaner now than it was 30 years ago.
    They also stated the fish are coming back there.
    Apparently, although disgusting, it used to be a lot worse.
    It must have been pretty horrible if the fish couldn't or wouldn't live there.
    I'm glad to see that there is improvement and apparently ongoing efforts to make it better.

That is one beautiful model and is going to make a striking diorama! Congrats to you!8)

Russell
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I used to work downtown Manhattan (I moved last year to Mineola), and visited the South Street Seaport many, many times...the water is exactly what you would expect around a major city, but perhaps cleaner than it used to be. Fishing is better now, but I still wouldn't drink the water.:grin:

Superb idea for a diorama...just how much of the surrounding pier did you plan to use? There is a little cafe on the pier adjacent to the Ambrose, which you see in the photo, with chairs and tables used on a nice day. And I imagine you will not also build the small tug that's tied along side of her.:grin:

I haven't seen many dioramas with ships, usually they are displayed underway, infrequently at anchor and rarely at the pier...so, it would be very unique, interesting and quite attractive, I think. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Cheers!
    Jim
  5. Jim Krauzlis

I used to work downtown Manhattan (I moved last year to Mineola), and visited the South Street Seaport many, many times...the water is exactly what you would expect around a major city, but perhaps cleaner than it used to be. Fishing is better now, but I still wouldn't drink the water.:grin:

Superb idea for a diorama...just how much of the surrounding pier did you plan to use? There is a little cafe on the pier adjacent to the Ambrose, which you see in the photo, with chairs and tables used on a nice day. And I imagine you will not also build the small tug that's tied along side of her.:grin:

I haven't seen many dioramas with ships, usually they are displayed underway, infrequently at anchor and rarely at the pier...so, it would be very unique, interesting and quite attractive, I think. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Cheers!
    Jim
  6. mpakier

mpakier Member

I plan to build the cafe and the tug.
    It will take some time because my first priority
    is HMS Alert now but slowly I will finish it.
  7. mpakier

mpakier Member

I plan to build the cafe and the tug.
    It will take some time because my first priority
    is HMS Alert now but slowly I will finish it.
  8. mpakier

mpakier Member

Hello. I was a long time again since my last post. All this time
    I was building the pier for the diorama. First I used a cardboard
    to make planks.

[​IMG]

As you can see the color i awful but I was preparing this almost 2 months
    so I have to leave this as it is. Below you can see all the pieces of the pier
    before and after gluing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no patience to work on this pier now. I think I will start to build
    the tugboat W.O. DECKER. I need it to make my diorama to look like
    it is on this picture..

There is a great amount of information about W.O. DECKER
    here. This is a South Street Seaport web site. The most interesting is the link "Building the W.O. Decker". This if a 57 pages document of rebuilding the ship.

Michal
  9. mpakier

mpakier Member

Here is what I'm planning to do now.

I found this site with the tugboat model (Dundrym Bay) from similar
    time to W.O. Decker. There are the plans of the model
    too. The hull is different but similar. On page 43 and 44
    of the rebuilding report I have few frames of the hull.
    Then on page 49 I have the picture of full hull.
    I will get the plans of "Dundrum Bay" and resize them in photoshop
    to match what I have about W.O. Decker. This way I will have
    the hull lines for my tug. It will be not exactly what it should be
    but the model will be very small anyway so I think the result
    will be OK.
  10. RG WILLIAMS

RG WILLIAMS New Member

Outstanding work on this project. Do you think LED lighting could be added to this model?
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Just a suggestion, but if you are looking for shipside diorama ideas, you might want to check out this site of Michael Urban where there are a few free downloadable files to create wharf and water dioramas:

http://www.cardinspace.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/

Look under the free models section...and you should also browse the rest of the site, he has designed some outstanding space models and a few ship models!

Hope you find this of some help.

Cheers!
    Jim
  12. mpakier

mpakier Member

I was not planning LED lighting but there is a competition so everything can happen.

Michal