Lighting Help - What to use?

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hey everyone. Back on the Black River Sub, work is underway in order to prep the layout for much needed improvements to show off the layout this holiday season.

Junior year has halted for me for the winter holidays, and alas I have some time to work on the layout after a six month hiatus. I'm very proud of myself, I got two circuits (albeit simple!) hooking up the lights and accessory power pack in the church and station platform lights.

I'm extemely disappointed, the ModelPower cheap street lights aren't bright at ALL, but they're already in-place on the Black River Platform and replacing them would be a bare. Maybe at a future date.

But my question is now, what should I use to add light to some more parts of the layout--namely the loading dock?

I was thinking of lining LED's, unchanged, along the back edge to simulate floor lighting on the dock. I think silver curved lamppost's would be more 50's, but what? I have NO IDEA about being an electrician, and today proved that.

Here are some pictures of the dock that needs light. I've also included a picture of the refinery complex, which I plan to add some spotlight lighting to (above the tanks on the left, igniting the parking lot) and a lighted "GULF" or "TEXACO" sign. Hopefully I can find one with a motor that spins too. Any ideas?

I prefer EBAY, since my LHS just closed... :cry:

And I have two weeks to get this done... but plenty of free time. I've never used any complicated circuts, or LEDs before, so you're dealing with a clueless teenager.:thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF4806 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4806 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF4808 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4808 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF4811 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4811 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 130

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I would put a few "lamps on utility poles" up. They are relatively easy to make, and you can do it with grain of wheat bulbs to keep it cheap and simple.

Here's a rough sketch... You can make lampshades from paper cut with a hole punch, and the wires can serve as the lamp bracket. Use a styrene or brass tube for the post. Lights like this can be used: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32770&cat=1,250,43298

Andrew

Attachments

• lamppost.jpg
    lamppost.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 125

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Thanks guys!

Andy, I sent you an email.

Mason, that's a good idea. I'll look into it. For now, I just picked up this spotlight to illuminate the oil distributor yard. I'll give it some touch up paint and detailing as soon as I open the package!

Any other ideas on the dock lights? Or a rotating sign for the oil distrib.?

Attachments

• DSCF4815 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4815 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 200

tracman165

Dec 4, 2006
Natalia, Texas
On many occassion, I have used small Christmas tree lites. Since the
dock looks "rustic", probably would use the color red draped accordingly?
Just a suggestion. You have to be careful about the voltage, too much
and pop goes the lite!