Life Like N Scale SW 8

rudywa

Purchased my first high-end locomotive, Life-Like N Scale SW 8 #7377 AT& SF, great detail, great speed control, I use DC as opposed to DCC, so I am limited, yet when I set the Locomotive in reverse the light goes out, any ideas, is this how it is supposed to work, no light comes on on the other end?

Please advise.
icon_smile.gif

passenger-train-new.gif

johnny b

Is it possable it's supposed to do that ? I have an Atlas H-14 that when its put in reverse the headlight in front goes out and the one in back comes on. Other wise I might suggest cleaning the contacts. The hobbie shop guy was showing a customer that once. He cleaned the contacts and the light came on .

skipgear

It is supposed to do that. The light board is diode issolated so that in reverse the headlight goes out. At least that is the way mine is.

sputnik

rudywa said:
...when I set the Locomotive in reverse the light goes out... is this how it is supposed to work, no light comes on on the other end?
As others have said, yes, this is how it works. "Directional Lighting" on most N-scale locomotives will turn on a rear light when in reverse, but there was no room for such on this particular locomotive (at least there was no way to do so AND keep the unit in a decent price range).

Drew1125 said:
What is the difference between the SW8, & the SW9/1200? Could you post a picture?
The prototype SW9 (12 cyl, IIRC) has a larger motor than the prototype SW8 (8 cyl, IIRC). Externally, the SW9 has two exhaust stacks, while the SW8 only has one. Additionally, there might be fewer louvres and a smaller radiator grille, but that can change so often throughout the years of use that you can't always go by that.

---jps

HPRL

Nice SW8. Is that standard paint or did you custom paint? Nice SW8. When I return from Chicago, I will get my decals on my custom SW1200. Nice SW8. I am still going to put a Lenz Mini Gold decoder in my SW1200. Nice SW8. Then I will post a photo of my SW1200.

Oh! Did I say Nice SW8? Enjoy your investment. :wave: