Life Like locomotives

Grotto

I have a chance to pick up a nice used steam loco made by Likelike.
I know nothing about this company and so I would appreciate an honest appraisals in:

1. craftsmanship
2. Noise.
3. durability.

Thanks for your time.

Herc Driver

Sorry I don't know the steam quality...but I have two versions of Lifelike products...the upper level (so to speak) Proto N diesels I have run very well and are as quiet as an Atlas or Kato with very good detailing. The more base line product are less detailed, run pretty well but slightly louder than the Proto N. I feel they're a good value fo rhte money. Again, I don't know anything about their steam engines...but own several diesels.

shaygetz

They seem to have done a much better job with their earlier N scale then with their early HO. I have an F7A that pulls everything I put to it and it doesn't snivel a bit. It does have a serious buzz though. Their steamers are OK but given to the same drive train problems their HO counterparts have, just not as quickly nor nearly as underpowered. I have their Northern but it's not a fair judge as it's been thru Ray's magic shop and it runs like a champ after he tickled it a bit. If the price is right, I'd say go for it, just don't expect Kato or Atlas quality.

Well i have two life like N scale loco and thay both are good ones but one is a lot better then the other. I have a lot of trouble with one of them and the other one is so smooth you cant hear it running, And it never gives trouble. So i am thinking like shaygetz if it is a good price get it.

n2trains

In regards to their steam selection, I do not have much of an opinion/education of them. I do, however, ahve a very VERY experienced experience with their diesels, since they were the affordable thing when I was 16 or 17 and going to the model railroad shows! I am EXTREMELY impressed by their diesels. SD7s run like a dream, on the level of Atlas and Kato, without the utter pulling power. I've only dealt with 3-4 atlas, while I have personally ran about 20 Katos and 10 or so life-like's in my short life span. Though, Kato is far and away the best (I LOVE their mikado's!), Atlas is 2nd because of the pulling power, and LIfe-like is 3rd among non brass units. Lifelike is the best bang for the buck in my opinion, but kato and atlas are better overall. Not sure if this helps a lot, but hopefully it adds incite.