Life-Like: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

What Is The Quality of Life-Like Engines?

• Good

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Just OK

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters

toptrain1

Life Like P2000, and P1000 locomotives and what do I think of them.
At first I wouldn't buy them because we had Athearn, Bowser, Model Die Casting, Front Range, making good American made products here. Then along comes a certain train store with a big sale on P2000 locomotives. That was when I aquired two FA-1s. Taking a good look at the drive and it's parts I found it to be a copy of The Athearn drive system. I guess they could not come up with their own drive so they used someone eleses. I think this was not a nice thing. All the train Mags were saying how inovative LLs new drive was. Well I looked again. It still looked like a Athearn drive. The only difference was it broke after less than 1 hour of use. My Athearns never have.Yes it was the plastic part of the geared axles splitting.
My opinion of life like p2000 is they can't even copy someones eleses stuff right.

toptrain1 said:
Life Like P2000, and P1000 locomotives and what do I think of them.
At first I wouldn't buy them because we had Athearn, Bowser, Model Die Casting, Front Range, making good American made products here. Then along comes a certain train store with a big sale on P2000 locomotives. That was when I aquired two FA-1s. Taking a good look at the drive and it's parts I found it to be a copy of The Athearn drive system. I guess they could not come up with their own drive so they used someone eleses. I think this was not a nice thing. All the train Mags were saying how inovative LLs new drive was. Well I looked again. It still looked like a Athearn drive. The only difference was it broke after less than 1 hour of use. My Athearns never have.Yes it was the plastic part of the geared axles splitting.
My opinion of life like p2000 is they can't even copy someones eleses stuff right.

Well! maybe you should look closer. there something called COPY RIGHTS.

I'm an N scaler and I can tell you there's many things that look the same but it's the nature of the business. there are many parts that will be similar but not the same.

Lets take small engine parts ( Landscaping equipment ) I can take multiple manufactures i.e., GreenMachine, Stihl, Toro, B&S, Echo, Pulland, Lesco, Shindaiwa, Honda, Suzuki, Etc.

Common now. Oh it broke on you??? that's why they come with warranties, send it back. crap happens. don't judge LL on one misfortune, you might be surprised with there comings.

I happen to be a multiple scaler with my main scale being N, O fallowing and G trailing. When I was with the club most of the people I talked to where so happy when Kato and atlas started to get into quality HO because Athearn was a " Toy " company to there liking.

but than again your an Ho'er, so your stuck in your way's. Like I said LL is up and coming just give them some time and They'll eventually get there but until there AT Kato quality they will be ridiculed by most that don't see there potential.

70Runner said:
BTW This a N-Scale thread. So why are we talking about HO stuff?

Great point. Let's get back on the rail :thumb: .

I have about ?????????????? 20 or more LL engines and I'm very pleased with them.

jesso

Here's my picture

70Runner said:
Pictures Anyone? I could probably come up with some.:)

Finally starting to figure out how to use the camera, although still have a long ways to go. Here are the Life-Like's that are currently on the club layout (stored conveniently at my house:thumb: ).

1. Utah Railway GP40 (It is actually on a Life-Like BN GP38-2 chassis)
2. Union Pacific E8 - Lifelike
3. Burlington GP20 - Proto
4. Burlington Northern GP38-2 #2098 (Life-Like)
5. Burlington Northern GP38-2 #2093 (Life-Like) He scratched the 8 to a 3
6. Santa Fe GP38-2 (Life-Like)
7. Santa Fe SW9 (Life-Like)

Unfortunately, my Proto Burlington Northern GP20 is on my layout at work.

Attachments

• ll.jpg
    ll.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 47

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
jesso said:
Finally starting to figure out how to use the camera, although still have a long ways to go. Here are the Life-Like's that are currently on the club layout (stored conveniently at my house:thumb: ).

1. Utah Railway GP40 (It is actually on a Life-Like BN GP38-2 chassis)
2. Union Pacific E8 - Lifelike
3. Burlington GP20 - Proto
4. Burlington Northern GP38-2 #2098 (Life-Like)
5. Burlington Northern GP38-2 #2093 (Life-Like) He scratched the 8 to a 3
6. Santa Fe GP38-2 (Life-Like)
7. Santa Fe SW9 (Life-Like)

Unfortunately, my Proto Burlington Northern GP20 is on my layout at work.
I like the looks of those Burlington Northern GP's :thumb:

toptrain1

BNSFtheLeader said:
Well! maybe you should look closer. there something called COPY RIGHTS.

I'm an N scaler and I can tell you there's many things that look the same but it's the nature of the business. there are many parts that will be similar but not the same.

Lets take small engine parts ( Landscaping equipment ) I can take multiple manufactures i.e., GreenMachine, Stihl, Toro, B&S, Echo, Pulland, Lesco, Shindaiwa, Honda, Suzuki, Etc.

Common now. Oh it broke on you??? that's why they come with warranties, send it back. crap happens. don't judge LL on one misfortune, you might be surprised with there comings.

I happen to be a multiple scaler with my main scale being N, O fallowing and G trailing. When I was with the club most of the people I talked to where so happy when Kato and atlas started to get into quality HO because Athearn was a " Toy " company to there liking.

but than again your an Ho'er, so your stuck in your way's. Like I said LL is up and coming just give them some time and They'll eventually get there but until there AT Kato quality they will be ridiculed by most that don't see there potential.

common now; I have at this time in LL 6 geeps,3 e units, and 2 different then before FAs. Only 1/2 are running. All my Athearn are running. And as to detail it is just fine!

Also: what is with the name calling. Didn't you grow up yet. Nothing I said attacked you. Everyone has experiances that give them opinions. Yours are different then mine. I can live with that. Calm down.

toptrain1

Cannonball said:
Taking an opinion poll.

I've seen mixed reactions about Life-Like locos on the forum and I started wondering what the overall consensus was on them. Mostly because I'm looking at a couple of undecorated units on eBay. So what's the scoop?

I found this post in "New Posts" If you see anything that says it is a N-scale post please point it out. I can't find it.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
toptrain1 said:
I found this post in "New Posts" If you see anything that says it is a N-scale post please point it out. I can't find it.
uuummm..... the fact that it's in the N scale forum?

It really doesn't matter to me.
N, Ho, O, s, G... It's all good
But I was refering more towards N scale for this one.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
toptrain1 said:
UUUMMM I found it in new Posts. Their is nothing in it that states it is a N-scale thread.
Are you talking about "Recent Threads" on the home page?
If so, the forum each thread is made in is found over on the righthand side.

Edit: I found where you were talking about. I don't think I've ever used "New Posts" and never even noticed the link before. However, it does still show which forum it's in on the righthand side.

Attachments

• NewPosts.jpg
    NewPosts.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 54
toptrain1 said:
common now; I have at this time in LL 6 geeps,3 e units, and 2 different then before FAs. Only 1/2 are running. All my Athearn are running. And as to detail it is just fine!

Also: what is with the name calling. Didn't you grow up yet. Nothing I said attacked you. Everyone has experiances that give them opinions. Yours are different then mine. I can live with that. Calm down.

"Name calling" ????????????? Okay! I didn't know that I did, But okay.

I know there's a different opinion to everyone's liking but what I'm saying is that LL has made there name in the NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN Community as far as I'm concerned ( Maybe not HO yet and they may not be up to par with Kato in N SCALE) but there an up and coming manufacture. I give them a lot of credit for advancing as well as they have considering there, their own manufacture from "toy" to Prototypical type manufacturing, they have come a long way for themselves and us at the same token. But your an HO'er who's used to multiple units already being made where us N scales have to deal with what is on the market. We don't have the luxury of choosing a manufacture to multiple engines.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to pick a fight but your judging N scale products based on HO experiences.
You may be right for all I know I have no clue to HO, I'm an N, O, G scaler for all I know the LL, HO may be junk but the new LL, N, is pretty good in all aspects. Yes there's some thing's I wish they did or didn't do but there VERY willing to here your response to their product and I think this has to do with the fact that they see a potential with getting into the "Modeler prototype's" and it will take some trial and error.

But like I ( we ) said this is an N scale debate, HO opinions are fine but please don't try to force your opinion if your not even an N scalier with no clue as to there ( our ) history as there has been a very short supply of choosing's.

toptrain1

Cannonball said:
Are you talking about "Recent Threads" on the home page?
If so, the forum each thread is made in is found over on the righthand side.

Edit: I found where you were talking about. I don't think I've ever used "New Posts" and never even noticed the link before. However, it does still show which forum it's in on the righthand side.

I never read that right side column.Always the titles of the posts. What ever is interesting, I read toptrain

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
toptrain1 said:
I never read that right side column.Always the titles of the posts. What ever is interesting, I read toptrain
Well then, it's not our fault you're posting in the wrong forum, is it? :p
;)

Biased turkey

umtrr-author said:
BT, I think they all take the Micro-Trains 1015 or 1016 (or whatever the new number is) and it should be a relative drop-in. You'd use the clip that holds in the Rapido coupler, very similar to some of the later Atlas locos.

Thanks for confirming that. I already purchased the MT 1015 couplers 1 month ago but after making a trial fit I realised that I would have to file the body.
I spent 2 hours today working on that project , but now my TH&B sw9 is back into business with a brand new Micro-Trains coupler.
00113.jpg

Biased turkey said:
Thanks for confirming that. I already purchased the MT 1015 couplers 1 month ago but after making a trial fit I realised that I would have to file the body.
I spent 2 hours today working on that project , but now my TH&B sw9 is back into business with a brand new Micro-Trains coupler.
00113.jpg

Cammon now you can't be taking your trains into bar fights, Now your engine has a broken nose :D sign1

jtloconut

life like locos

When you ask about life like , Or view on E-bay or mail order. life like what is called pre proto 1000 or 2000. may be cheep,pan-cake old tyco motors. you get what you pay for !!!! if its not a Proto dont waist your money.