Life Like 2-8-8-2

Ian Smith is an accomplished HO modeller who fell in love with Life Like's N-scale 2-8-8-2 and, at the price (approx $90 US), couldn't resist buying one and doing a great weathering job on it.

I photographed it last night on the West-N-Trak layout in the clubrooms of the WA Branch of AMRA (Australian Model Railway Assoc).

Couldn't resist adding a bit of smoke and steam in Photoshop.

Gavin Miller

Attachments

• ian smiths mallet3.jpg
    ian smiths mallet3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 238
I know Perth Hobby Centre had a few last time I visited (some weeks ago now). You could call or fax them and ask. I remember they were priced around $169 AUD. Unfortunately for you guys the Aussie $ has strengthened against the US $ and now exchanges for about 65 US cents so the price is now a little higher in your currency (about $110 USD).

Perth Hobby Centre's website is http://www.perthhobbies.com/main.shtml

Unfortunately they don't have on-line ordering. Call them or fax them - tell 'em Gavin sent you (I used to work there!).

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by Gavin Miller

I don't know why they were so cheap here in Australia and so expensive in the US. They are a beautiful little loco though and probably worth the US price!

Gavin

I believe that they come here direct from China, not via the US, so that saves quite a lot of shipping for a start ....

While they look very nice, its a shame they do not do their intended job i.e. pulling a long freight train !!!! Samples I have seen at the club here couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding :-(

garyn

Jul 24, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Visit site
While mine was not quite that bad, it could not pull 6 cars up a 4% grade. I've heard that it could pull 25 to 30 cars on level track.

There is rumor here of either LL or a 3rd party producing a driver wheel w traction tires. Until that wheel is available, another option I read in an old book is, to paint the tread of the last driver. The paint will act like a traction tire.