Lichen......

slurp

Feb 26, 2005
www.themodelzone.org
You know the stuff used for bushes etc. Normally pre-packed and coloured and charged at an extortionate price for a small bag's worth. Well a friend has found (in the area he lives) a free sustainable source of Lichen. Question is though does it need any treatment to stop it going into decay or will it just dry out naturally. I've found one place that recommends boiling it in a mixture of glycerine and water is this all the treatment it needs or are there other processes that will give the same results?.

Once again many thanks for any help you guys can give.

Regards
Roy.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I stopped using lichen and went to faux fur and polyfiber bushes.

bush_background.jpg

hi_def_pond.jpg

I have " what I did" at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/scenery/green_bushes/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I envy your free source for lichen! I like this material for trees but it was the cost at hobby shops that made me switch to polyfiber. I'm trying to recall if I read anything about the so called "Lichen Belt" modelers in the 70's using to seal their materials. Seems to me that you'd want to. Glycerine and water sounds like a good idea. I wonder if anyone else has any...?
Ralph

N

nachoman

harold,

what is that horizantal feature in your upper photo? A pipeline?

and as far as lichen goes - no matter what you treat it with, it will eventually dry out. I have heard some people spraying their lichen with a picture of glycerin and water periodically to keep it pliable Lichen has its model railroad uses, but i try and stay away from natural materials. Plant a hillside with trees made from dried weeds, and eventually mice will come in to mow them down. When I was still at my parents house, I used plenty of natural materials for scenery. My mom used to also complain about the number of moths in the house. I think they were laying eggs in my scenery!!

kevin

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
nachoman said:
harold,

what is that horizantal feature in your upper photo? A pipeline?
kevin

That is the pipeline to my 1870's oil transfer facility

end_view.JPG

The tank is the header tank for filling the oil tank cars. The Atlas shed on top of the hill will be transformed into a pump house.

Harold

N

nachoman

that pipeline is a great detail, and something everyone could use on their layout. A natural gas pipeline crosses my field area - a very conspicuous scar on the landscape. Across nothern arizona is another gas pipeline, and a coal slurry pipeline. All towns must get their water from somewhere, and pipelines transport the water from the reservoirs or wells to the treatment facility. maybe a line of slightly different colored soil and less vegetation across my layout is needed!!

kevin

slurp

Feb 26, 2005
www.themodelzone.org
Jim - you have pm sir :).

Ralph - It's not me who has the free source unfortunately :( but a friend. However if i can find out how to preserve/stabilise it then i'm sure he will be grateful and maybe send me a bag or two:) .

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Harold,

That's some great scenery you've got there!! How did you achieve the look of that rock face in the first picture?? I'm just about to begin putting down some rock faces I need & would really appreciate a little info on materials, methods & painting. Tx for any hints.

Gus (LC&P).

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
steamhead said:
Harold,

That's some great scenery you've got there!! How did you achieve the look of that rock face in the first picture?? I'm just about to begin putting down some rock faces I need & would really appreciate a little info on materials, methods & painting. Tx for any hints.

Gus (LC&P).

Thank you, I have a "what I did" at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/more_rocks/

and the chronicling of the railroad at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/

Thank you if you visit
Harold