LHS in Ithaca NY area?

penngg1

Sep 8, 2003
Newfield, NY
Visit site
I'm moving up there this spring and am looking for a complete model rr store. I'm spoiled because Howell Days, The Model Railroad Shop (the original home of the Red Ball Express) is only 3 miles from my home. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Bud :wave:

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
LHS in Ithaca, NY area

Hi penngg1:

I live ten miles north of Ithaca, in Lansing, on the East shore of Cayuga Lake. The LHS that I use is Rock River Model Hobbies, over on the other side of the lake in Interlaken. Carl Schmidt, the owner and only employee, as far as I know, doesn't have a large inventory of trains, as he has a lot of other stuff, too. There's a shop in Geneva, NY that I have not visited, but have done business with at our annual Railfair. Back to Carl. He does great custom painting, and that's what first got me started with him. He will special order just about anything you want, but it may take some time to get it. In other words, it's a nice, friendly LHS, but perhaps not the best if you want to look at a great variety and get extra good prices (although Carl usually gives me a pretty good discount).

When are you moving? I'll invite you now to join us the second Tuesday evening of every month for the meeting of the Cornell Railroad Historical Society/ Cornell Chapter NRHS. Welcome.

penngg1

Sep 8, 2003
Newfield, NY
Visit site
Dave

My son & daughterinlaw work for Cornell. He told me about the club when I talked to him early in the week.
Last spring I was up to your area. We had dinner at the Pirates Cove (I believe is the name of it) an old hotel and restaurant.
We also saw the lovely falls on the west side of the lake. That is some drop that the water takes.
Thank you for the infomation. I'll lok you up when we move up this spring
Thank you again.
Take Care
Bud :wave:

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Ithaca

Hi Bud:

Well, it sounds like you are already somewhat familiar with the area, so that is good. The hobby shop in Geneva I mentioned in my previous post is Lake City Hobbies (I just couldn't think of the name yesterday). There are also several shops in the Binghamton area, but I have not done business with any of them, so can't report on them. Of course, Syracuse is pretty well supplied too; but, again, I have no personal experience. Other than Rock River, I do most of my shopping at our Railfair in the Spring. It will be held the last weekend in April. Will you be here then?

penngg1

Sep 8, 2003
Newfield, NY
Visit site
Ithaca

Afternoon Dave
If things go as planned we will arrive up there some time in May. We fell in love with the area and as a trout fisherman the area is quite promising, loved Buttermilk Falls. The station restaurant I fell in love with. The town we live in now has the old Lehigh Valley RR running thru it.