Levels and Backscenes

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
I've been having a good time looking through the scenery section - there really is a lotta good talent on here! Well done chaps:thumb:

Anyway, I'm jsut starting out in N (please see my thread in the N gauge section), and was going to have a 2 level layout. I don't have much cash, and looking at these pictures I think I should go for a 1 level.

I know you'll probably say it's up to me, but what do you guys think? How many of you have 1 and 2 levels?

Secondly, I was looking at your backscenes. I'd like to go for photos, but only have an A4 printer. Anyone got any ideas on making my own photo backscenes?

I'd like to see some pics of the whole of your layout, an overall picture, and of your backscenes, if you don't mind?

Thanks,

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Have you looked into having posters made from photos? I think some of the one hour photo places will make posters from your photos for a reasonable price. To answer your question about a double deck layout.

If you ultimately want a double level layout, go ahead and plan for one. The most expensive part of the layout & trackwork is switches. Make a double deck benchwork, but just build the mainline to start with. Just make sure to design it with enough clearance between the two levels to allow you plenty of room to work on the lower level with the upper level in place. Don't forget to have the lower level wider than the upper level for ease of access. Then buy switches as you can afford them a little money at a time, and add them in. You can easily cut space out for the installation of switches later. Maybe get one right hand & one left hand switch of the largest type you will use, and use them for a template to make sure you leave enough space to insert switches where you need them. To install a switch after the mainline is in, just cut out the part of the main you need for the switch with a dremel, and drop the switch in place. If you find that you lack an inch or so of space for a switch to fit in, you can cut a little bit off each end of the switch to make it fit. Save some more money by using 3' sections of flex track instead of the short snap track pieces. Look in the Academy at "Robin At His Best" to see what can be done with old cereal boxes, card board, some thread & odds and ends. Your first buildings might not look very good, but as you practice you will get better, and since you will have nothing invested except "sweat equity" on the structures, you can toss the failures as you get better ones to replace them with.