Let's build some chemical storage tanks...

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Hi All,

This looks like a good place for some chemical storage tanks.

aoo.sized.jpg

I've had the Cornerstone Piping and the CV Stairs and Ladders Kits for a long time, and I think I can finally put them to good use on these cardboard tubes.

Now that I have a good looking place for the tanks, I will proceed to cover them. THE best scratch build material I have ever found are these cardboard tubes that are used to pack narrow fluorescent light bulbs. The corrugating is much finer than regular cardboard.

aop.sized.jpg

Here I've cut up this material into strips so I can glue it to the tank foundations.

As always, suggestions welcome...

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI

Thanks for your interest Nolatron,

Jasbourre, I'm sorry about the text...maybe it's the background, but the white text is MUCH harder for me to read? Maybe bold...

Anyway.....

The roof material will be this silvery cardboard I found in the back of an art supply room. If I don't like it, I'll paint/texture it.

aoq.sized.jpg

Here goes the siding. I softened it up a bit with alcohol before sticking it on. I don't really know if I'm gonna like the silvery roofs. Prototypical? Silver will bring out the piping which I plan to install on the tops, that's for sure.

aos.sized.jpg

Next, I need to mix up some of Kyle's Mud(TM) lol, for the base....

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
This looks like it's going to be interesting. I'm in need of some storage tanks and this should fit the bill. A great tutorial, can't wait for the next installment.:thumb:

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I cut a template out of a paper bag, then transferred the shape to gatorboard.

aor.sized.jpg

The silver will tone down nicely with a dusting of flat white spray paint.

aot.sized.jpg

I am careful to get the storage tank perfectly in line and centered. The tubes were not cut very even originally. To insure they will all be the same height and level, I thought I would "plant" them in asphalt.

aou.sized.jpg

A mix of spackle, black tempra powder and water makes nice asphalt.

aov.sized.jpg

aow.sized.jpg

aox.sized.jpg

Plenty of weight will insure this module drys flat and level. Time to let this sit until tomorrow.

aoy.sized.jpg

Engineer Kyle

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Kyle,

If you do not specify the text colour, it will automatically switch between black on white ("Gauge New" colour scheme) and white on blue ("Gauge Classic" colour scheme). The dropdown for choosing how you view The Gauge is at the bottom of every page, and can also be set in your "User Control Panel" (User CP in the light blue bar at the top of every page).

Andrew

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Well,

I've added quite a lot of detail. The Cornerstone piping kit was fussy to work with at first.

ape.sized.jpg

The pipings are glued together as units, but not glued to the tanks yet. This so I can pull them off and paint them easily. Same for the walkways. I really need some suggestions on colors. I think I want contrast between the pipes and the roof... and the catwalks should match the roof, maybe?

I imagine the pipes white and the roof black? Much of my layout is drab, maybe it's time to do a little industrial aqua or something?

apf.sized.jpg

I think I'll call this pic "Weird Science"

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
White for the pipes and roof...with a heavy dusting of whatever your base earth color is...depending on what's in the tanks, white is reflective of heat to keep whatever it is cool. Silver is nice, however, in that it stands out. I'd dull it on top, though, to simulate the buildup of water and dust and the effects of the sun.

Looks great...I like the use of spackle. What's really nice about it is the color when wet is the color when dry, at least when I mix in cheap 2 oz. Delta acrylic paints.

Galen