Let The Games Begin!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Did a rough layout for the frame going under my 4x8 "benchwork" just a bit ago. I'm gonna sit down and measure here in a bit to make sure everything is square and then head out to the garage for power tools. I'll build the framework first, then flip everything over and attach the particle board to the framework with flathead screws. I've got two table legs from Northern Tool & Equipment that will attach to the bottom and get it up off the floor.

Don't laugh at the desk in the pics. I built it in high school woodshop over 20 years ago and it's still with me. I also built and painted the "VanHalenized" Telecaster guitar you see in the pics. It's being sold to a guy here in town that plays in an 80's tribute band. :D

Attached Files:

2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Cannonball: You will get more strength from your 1X4's if you put them on edge. Or maybe you already plan to do that.
  3. Cannonball

You mean move them out to the edge of the particle board or flip them on their sides?

Flipping them on their sides isn't an option for two reasons. One, I don't have long enough screws. Two the particleboard is in 2ft wide sections and I need the 4" width to drill down and attach the particle board to the frame.

Moving them out closer to the edge of the particle board is an idea, though. I"m still running a few ideas through my head.
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

The 1x4's are laying on their side as you show them in your photo's. Normally they have the most strength when used on edge. Do you have four, 2 foot x 4 foot pieces of particle board? I remember you said in an earlier post that access to your basement was a problem.
  5. Cannonball

Yeah, that's what they are. 2x4'. This was the only way I could get them down to the basement which was my original plan when I bought the board. Now it's going in the living room instead. I don't think I will have to worry about the boards not being strong enough though. I don't forsee a lot of weight on top and it will be screwed together from both directions.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

Interesting benchwork.:rolleyes: I'd pop for a couple boxes of 3" screws and stand those 2 x 4's on edge, and put your stringers 24" o.c. to tie your sheets together. Usually benchwork is built like a floor, with stringers spaced a certain distance on center and ledger boards at the ends.

2 x 4's laid flat will have enough strength to support your table- your setup just looks a bit odd (just a journeyman carpenter's opinion). It's your layout- build it as you see fit.

Geno
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I would in addition say to use the 2x4’s on edge. This way you are using the full strength of the lumber and will eliminate and possible flex or bounce of the layout. It really isn’t that hard to tie the 2-foot sections of by putting the screws down through the PB into the 2x4’s.

This will give you a solid box form for your layout and you will not need to place screws from the bottom up to the top. Later if you need to place some additional weight on it for any reason you’re all set.

[FONT=&quot]I guess the main thing is that you are further along than I am at this point and should be having fun running your trains on a layout before me. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.[/FONT]
  8. Cannonball

Well, I sepnt the morning building this thing and went with my original idea for the framework but moved the crossboards further out. They are only about 6 inches in from the outside egde instead of 12. Got the legs attached and flipped her over. I gotta say, it is suprizingly solid. You can see my daughter is impressed with her Daddy's amature carpentry work. (Actually, she's just a ham who has to be in every picture possible whenever someone has a camera. :D )

Attached Files:

9. Geno

Geno Member

Cute kid. :D

What type of roadbead and track are you planning to use? I 'm using 7/16" OSB for my base as well, but I'm putting a 1/2" sound board (Homasote) on top of that for noise absorbtion.

Geno
  10. Cannonball

Yeah she is. :)
    The problem is, she knows she's cute. :rolleyes: :D

For now it's just going to be a grass mat and O27 track on top. At some point I will actually lay foam board, track bed and senic it but right now all I want to do is lay track and run trains.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

I don't blame you- I've been building my layout for about 2 mos. now and I'm already getting withdrawl symptoms. I don't even see my roadbed and track going down for another month or two.

Geno
  12. Cannonball

How big of a layout are you building?
  13. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

IMO that’s a good start. I’d add a facial board around the edges to dress it up. If you use 1x4’s it will add strength but thin plywood could be cut in strips to do the same thing.

Greg
  14. Cannonball

I thought about doing that but I've already dropped over $60 on making this thing. I'd like to have a little left over for trains. :D More seriously, I may do some finish work on it later. It looks pretty drab sitting there the way it is. Just don't have the time or money left this weekend.
  15. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    My layout will be about 20 x 18 (L-shaped) with 8' diameter peninsulas at either end, about 4' wide in the middle. It will have two levels (lower at 38" high, upper at 56"), two mainlines and staging yard on the bottom. My minimum curve radius is 36"- tight by 2-rail standards, but fine for 3-rail trains.

Geno
  16. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Cannonball I hear you on that part of the equation. :D Regardless, get those trains running and have fun.

Greg
  17. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Cool concept and a great daughter that should have a ton of fun with those trains. I know for sure you will have trains running long before I do. Right now I have it all packed and that hurts. :cry:

I hope to start by next weekend and if I do I will give you a look at my bench work and helper.

So many ideas so many thougths so much money.:D

The final plans will included three main lines with two of them being connected. The hardest part was getting all the wiring plans down.
  18. Cannonball

Good gravy! :eek:
    I gotta see pics of that!
  19. Cannonball

Egad! It's Green!

Due to weather, we ended up staying home tonight so I glued the grass mat down. Now I have to do is lay the track and drill holes for the remote switch wires.

Edit: And vacuum the living room floor where the loose grass fell off before my wife yells at me. :rolleyes:
    :D

Attached Files:

20. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    Nice progess- I wish I could say I'm doing the same.

I planned on working on my layout this weekend, but honey-dos and a stupid TV-appliance store ate most of the time up.

I 'll definitely get some pics up once I have the first level benchwork done.

Geno