Lester Perry challenge one

L

lester perry

Scratch Build Coal Mine

I looked at as many photos as i could find before starting. I discovered no 2 look alike, so that made it easy.
Start with basic shape useing evergreen plastics.

100_1167.jpg

I used corigated but you cant realy see it in the pics.

One mine I saw had shoots from under it for the coal to come out of I liked it.

100_1168.jpg

This is where I am as of now.
Les

L

lester perry

This has been slow going. Time has been an issue. My wife is just now recovering from a knee replacement. But here is some progress.
100_1211.jpg

100_1210.jpg

Here one conveyor will be crossing the main line. There will be another one coming in from the back or maybe I should say the right side. More pics later.
Les

L

lester perry

Thanks guys it is a long time going.
Jim yes I made the leg columns, in fact I scratch built it all except the conveyor which is a Walthers kit but it is being modified.
Les

L

lester perry

Some progress

100_1253.jpg

Here is the conveyor with out cover. Used Lionel coal fresh from mine and not crushed.

100_1256.jpg

Now the cover / roof on it

100_1257.jpg

Another angle, here you can see walkways & stairs.

L

lester perry

OK what did I do wrong to get such large pics? Also roof giving me a lot of trouble.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
can't help you with the pics but the conveyer looks good , having worked in coal mining most mine run coal is what is called 0/8 meaning dust to 8 inch lumps in older mines where they shot the coal you would get chunks as lage as a man could pick up and load in to mine cars.whats the trouble with the roof ?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
lester perry said:
OK what did I do wrong to get such large pics? Also roof giving me a lot of trouble.
Your pics are linked to Photobuckets and you can link most any size pic to here when you do that. Your best bet is to resize them before you upload them to Photobuckets. If you upload them directly to the Gauge, the file manager will let you know if they're too big.

Big pics are not good, especially for those that have slow dial-up or have a lower screen resolution. No one wants wait two minutes for a picture to come on the screen, or to have to scroll to see the whole picture, so I understand your concern. If you're having problems resizing your pics, let me know.

L

lester perry

I have tried to resize and load directly to the guage and succeded one time. I have failed many times.
Les

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
I believe either plastruct or slaters make corrugated embossed styrene sheet. Some spans of 2 x 2mm strip across the roof ought to give you the support you need for you to then place the corrugated sheet down as a roof.

L

lester perry

OK guys the roof is taken care of, I tried the evergreen roof and didn't like it. I know the pics are few and far between sorry but right now I am fitting 25 hours into a day and getting weary. Took off work today to go to the funeral of a MRR friend maybe I can get some pics up today.
Les

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
If you don't like evergreen try slaters plastikard, they make corrugated plastic sheet that's ideal for a project like this.