Legos??

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I just discovered a new facet to the hobby - model RR'ing using Lego blocks (does this mean I need to get out more or less?) I just about dismissed the whole idea as silliness, (the hell with to each his own), then had a thought. Legos would be a good way to make temporary buildings, approximating the size and shape of the real models, and put on the layout to help determine building placement, track routing, etc. If you had enough of them, you could even do hills and mountains.

Not that I'm recommending every one go out and get a bunch of Legos, but I'm sure that some of us already have them lying around underfoot (I know I do, OUCH!)

C

Catt

My 35 year old son has a 4' x12' layout that is totally Lego. He has configured a very good copy of a AMTRAK F40ph and and several passenger cars.He also hass created an end cab switcher from Legos.You do know they make trainsets, Right??

My son John does an incredible job with Legos.:D Yes I'm proud of him.:D :D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Anybody bought the Bachman HO Hogwarts (sp?) Express yet?
I don't see myself getting one, but I think it's a brilliant idea, that might introduce a lot of children to model railroading!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I haven't bought a Hogwarts Express, but I'm thinking about it. I love British steam locomotives, and I figure this is a cheap way to get ahold of one. It's a Great Western Railway Hall class 4-6-0 locomotive. The originals were painted green and black, I think. And technically I think the loco should have been a Castle class, but maybe that was all they had available when the shot the movie.

The model isn't one of Bachmann Branchline's higher quality locos (I think their version of "Spectrum" or "Silver" is the "Blue Riband"), but you can get either of the Hogwarts sets for less than I've found Hall class locos sold individually.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the models OO scale (like 1:75)? I know that N gauge models are actually something like 1:148 scale...

-Rory

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Catt!

Hey Catt - As soon as I clicked submit on my posting I knew I would probably insult somebody - I apologize if I came across too sarcastic (its a character flaw). I'd already checked out your son's site while I was exploring this new (to me) slant on MRRing. It's amazing what someone can do with those little blocks!
Bill K

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Rory:OO is almost the same size as H.O. And it does use H.O track. In the very begining of H.O,OO trains was very popular.H.O (half Oscale), was thought to be a passing fad as N scale was in the early 60s. How little they knew back then! In the early days of modeling,O scale (2 rail with outside 3rd rail) was the scale that was popular and prefer by most modelers.:)

C

Catt

Insult? Me? Not even close Bill.It really blows my mind what some people can do with a kids toy.:D :D

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hmmm ... they barely had PLASTIC when I was young. Lincoln Logs were MY building materials, and locos were all metal except for the headlight !!

Back then (1950), something "plastic" was cheap - today, it's top quality models like Atlas Master Series or P2K or Kato.

"Better Living through Chemistry" was the old DuPont slogan - and it's true, despite today's chemophobia.

By the way - why can't they make a BRIGHT headlight today for a locomotive? Only Kato's white (looks kinda blueish to me) LED is really intense enough for me! Looks like electrical engineers need more help from us chemists (again).

- George

27 Year Member of the American Chemical Society

(Yes, I am a Chemist - that's the Scientist, NOT the Pharmacist, for our friends in the British Isles ! ;) By the way - thanks for Priestley!)

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Rory -

Nothing to do with trains, but as you asked ....

Joseph Priestley was an 18th century British amateur scientist and literary secretary to Lord Shelburne, the Prime Minister. He discovered many gasses, the most important of which was today's oxygen. He also had very liberal views, and was chased out of England because of his support of the American and French Revolutions (he got the hint when a mob burned down his house).

His good friend (and fellow amateur scientist) Ben Franklin invited him to the U.S., where he taught the science. His coming to the U.S. sparked an interest in chemistry in this country, and would eventually lead to the formation of the American Chemical Society, the largest scientific society in the world! Thus my thanks to our British friends!

... actually, the combining of oxygen with various carbon fuels DOES have a lot to do with trains, now that I think about it!

BTW, speaking of CO2 production, Priestley was the first to drink carbonated water (non-natural, that is) - he thought it made a very refreshing drink - too bad he didn't add flavorings and patent the stuff!

He also was the one who coined the word "rubber" for the substance from a South American plant - because he found that it was good for rubbing out pencil marks on paper!

OK, OK - I can hear you!

No more chemistry lectures tonight !

- George

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
George,

It's somewhat ironic that I read your reply after having just watched a show on the History Channel about American beverages--including soda pop! (Or, as we say here in Texas, "Coke.")

Isn't it interesting that a "chemical" reaction (i.e., the burning of Priestly's house) prompted him to come to America? :)

-Rory (who likes his flavored carbonated beverages, especially Coke)

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Rory -

Chemistry is everywhere!
Sometimes it's a burning issue .......... ;)

....... sometimes, something really cool! That wonderful chilled chemical brew, Coke, is the word for "soft drink" in my old neck of the woods (North Georgia), also ! :)

Being so close to Atlanta, and all.

My grandfather had the chance to buy some initial stock in a company in that city - didn't think the Coca-Cola Company would make it !!!!!!!! :eek:

Just THINK of the trains I could have bought IF ......... !!!

Ah well, my trains probably MEAN more to me as a POOR professor than if I were a RICH shareholder, right ???? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo - have a Good Weekend, a Coke, and a Smile ! :D

- George