Legal issue

Z

Zathros

Just a Jest my friend, a jest.

I concur about his work though.

Oh, I don't worry about Goodduck, I especially don't want to be on his "other" side, he is pretty capable.

"It is the Courage of you Enemy that gives you Honor".

Life is a Banana
Monkeys of Misfortune
Peel away Hope
Keep close that which you cherish
To the Monkey of Misfortune
Say, "Nope".
by me

enhanc10.jpg

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Sep 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
I hate to play thread necromancy but I think this answer I got from a new forum member sums it all up in a simple and straight forward answer.

This is courtesy of laci who sent me this private message about two weeks ago.

Hi Exp,

I am a quite new user here, and probably this is why I can't add post to your question on legal matters regarding designing a papermodel based on a copyrighted artistwork.

I can help you with this issue, while you can help me to let me know how to become a full-right member, for example capable of posting :smile:))

back to your issue:
All works of art - movies, drawings, plans, papermodel desiggns, etc. - automatically enjoy copyright protection from the very moment of the generation of the artwork.
It gives you control over any type of reproduction.

A reproduction that is transferring a peace of art to an other type of arts - e.g. a vehicle design or a figure of a movie to papermodel design - is so called derivative work.

Copyright holder has full control over derivative works as well.

So before you want to sell any derivative work, you have to ask a consent to use from the original copyright holder.

So you can not just start and sell them. However personal and non-commercial uses of copyright materials are allowed, so until you do not ask money for them, you can post your design.

Just to give weight to all the above, there is a plastic kit producer company, who happened to launch great starwars model kits, but without the consent of the copyright holder. They were forced to stop selling.

That's it.

So long!

laci

Can the mods do something so laci may post in the forums please? I think it'll be deeply appreciated.

Z

Zathros

I have never seen this person "Laci" before, have no idea who it is either. Anyone who joins the forum can post. If this person was a member before and got banned, that is a different story. If i was during the turbulent times, he can rejoin, just by sending a P.m. to Ekuth. I do not see this person listed on the members list either?

If you can, tell that person to P.M. me so I can find out what is going on. I just hop it isn't someone who was banned or something (i.e., a SPAMMER).

mchale

beach boy
Jun 27, 2008
greenville pa
i have a few model i designed recently i want to sell on ecardmodels but i don't know if it would be ok one is a m*a*s*h unit based m*a*s*h unit 4077 two are cars that belonged to steve mcgarrett from the show hawaii five-o and another is a shipwreck based on the ss minnow from gilligan's island and another car that looks like the general lee from the dukes of hazzard

Z

Zathros

You could sell thee but they would have to be listed as "Generic". In other words, the M.A.S.H. unit would probably be O.K. to call it that because that ws the military designation. You just couldn't say it was from the show, though everyone would know. The S.S. Minnow could be sold as a shipwreck diorama, but just don't make any mention of "Gilligan", or S.S. Minnow. I would try, Small ship wrecked on Island Diorama. The cars from Hawaii 5'O are a different story. I don't think Chris would even list them because they are Fords, and the trademark that goes with it. Same goes with the General Lee. That is why you do not see thee kinds of models listed at ECardmodels.

mchale

beach boy
Jun 27, 2008
greenville pa
here are the screen caps of the sketch up models

Attachments

• shipwrecked 2.jpg
    shipwrecked 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 8
  • mcgarretts 1968 merury parklane brougham 1.jpg
    mcgarretts 1968 merury parklane brougham 1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 9
  • mcgarrett's 1974 mercury marquis brougham 1.jpg
    mcgarrett's 1974 mercury marquis brougham 1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 11
  • custom dodge charger 1.jpg
    custom dodge charger 1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

mchale, I don't think anyone is going to give you hard time with those models. As long as you don't put trademarked names on them. Chris won't sell anything with trademarked names anyways.