LEDs, resistor and powerpack

patgin

Hi everyone,

I would like to add some leds in my layout to make some track signal. Leds are standard red, yellow and green 3mm leds. I would like to plug each set on a life-like transformer (the little blue one, I have 4 of that kind).
How should I plug them, in series? Will I need 1 resistor for each series or one resistor for each led? How many led per series could support one life-like powerpack?

Thanks
Patrick

YmeBP

patgin said:
Hi everyone,

I would like to add some leds in my layout to make some track signal. Leds are standard red, yellow and green 3mm leds. I would like to plug each set on a life-like transformer (the little blue one, I have 4 of that kind).
How should I plug them, in series? Will I need 1 resistor for each series or one resistor for each led? How many led per series could support one life-like powerpack?

Thanks
Patrick

There is a great thread about this that has pictures and helped me understand how to do this:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=24663&highlight=led+resistor

After reading and following this thread i now completely understand how to do leds :).

kf4jqd

STAY AWAY FROM LIFE-LIKES POWER PACK! They are under power in the first place! Do you want a flickering LED? Do you have an old cordless phone laying around or any other wall wart? These are excellant for powering LED's. Keep the voltage under 14vdc. For voltages over12v, use a 1000 OHM resistor. Under that voltage use 500- 800 OHM reisitor. The more you draw power off that power pack, the slower the train will run.

Andy:wave: