LED pole lights

Fred, I was refering to the fact that the copper, as per Jons statement,

"Also, if you are making multiply solder joints on one part, you may have less trouble with brass, as it conducts less heat towards a previously soldered joint."

So making a small detailed model of copper, and making mutliply solder joints, the heat would transfer away faster, and melt a previously soldered area, thus you would be resoldering it again and then the heat would transfere to a previously soldered area and it would melt...

and then you would get

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats all I was JOKING about. :D :D :D

Drew

BTW, your lights are really good, make any for the early days?

F

Fred_M

Now I understand your humor, but actually cleaning/prep and procedures have lots more to do with sucessful soldering than if the parts are made from brass, copper, bronze, or silver, or even their sizes. I don't want people to be scared to solder and/or use copper for projects because they read these posts. Copper is softer and easier to form and work than brass which is rather hard and brittle. Bronze is even harder and is ususally found as castings. But you can solder all these along with some steels, gold, and tin. Have I left any out? Cleaning and tinning are the downfalls of most newbies followed by using too much or not enough iron and heating the wrong part. Say you are attaching a bell to a boiler. If you heat the boiler to attach the bell all the other parts will fall off. If you heat the bell until the solder melts (and the parts are clean) it sticks to the boiler and the boiler stays cool. Then there are heatsinks and using a big or small iron. One could write a book. (but nobody would buy it). FRED