Learning about glue

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by hapes, Oct 20, 2006.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

I'd also like to plug Elmers glue sticks. I've tried everything from the cheapest generic "back to school" stick to 3M's high end archival product and Elmers has (to me at least) the nicest feel to it.
  2. shrike

shrike Guest

I'd also like to plug Elmers glue sticks. I've tried everything from the cheapest generic "back to school" stick to 3M's high end archival product and Elmers has (to me at least) the nicest feel to it.
  3. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Bovines

Right!

Elmer was (is?) a bull. The cow's name was Elsie and they had a bull calf named Beauregard! They used to be the trademarks of the Borden Company and could be seen at the State Fair of Texas for many years. They were Jerseys, by the way.

There, don't all of you feel better knowing that?????

:roll:

Bob
  4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Bovines

Right!

Elmer was (is?) a bull. The cow's name was Elsie and they had a bull calf named Beauregard! They used to be the trademarks of the Borden Company and could be seen at the State Fair of Texas for many years. They were Jerseys, by the way.

There, don't all of you feel better knowing that?????

:roll:

Bob
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Scent of a Glue

Larry, Yes, it was for Elmer's glue all. Further the carpenter's glue is also PVA. The way to tell is to smell the glue. PVA glues give off a mild acetic aroma.

-Gil
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Scent of a Glue

Larry, Yes, it was for Elmer's glue all. Further the carpenter's glue is also PVA. The way to tell is to smell the glue. PVA glues give off a mild acetic aroma.

-Gil
  7. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I use some glue called "The Stuff" and it's marketed as the superglue of white glues (according to the bottle). It's in a white bottle and I found it at my local Hobby Lobby store for about $5 for an 8oz bottle. Fast adhesion, dries clear, has all the properties of regluar white Elmer's school glue. You can spread it pretty easy, much like regular school glue, but within 10 seconds or so of clamping the parts, it's dry. Water soluble and can be easily painted over or colored over with a marker.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have the bottle in front of me. I'll have to get the manufacturer when I get home.

I'm a relatively impatient person and don't like to have to wait for glue to dry. Might have something to do with my past experiences with model car building and my decision to go with CA glue and "Plastic Weld" as my choices of adhesive.
  8. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I happened to be near the Hobby Lobby store yesterday and decided to check out the glue the Bugman gave us a tip on.

It is a great glue! Dries fast, clear and strong. Even has instructions for using it as contact cement for gluing impermeable object (plastic? broken coffee cup?).

However, the name of it is :Crafter's Pick THE ULTIMATE. Made by The Adhesive Products, www.crafterspick.com.

Bob

(Have not seen in the the WalMarts here in Northest Texas)
  9. bugman72

bugman72 Member

Whoops!! That's what happens when you go by memory on a bottle that you bought over a year ago!

Glad you figured out what I was talking about and are enjoying it as much as I have been.
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

At the risk of getting virtual bread rolls, empty glue pots, or anything else thrown at me, what's the opinion of Pritt Stick and the like. Seems to stick well, but application can be a bit messy (hence the glue smears over my model :confused: ) It can be applied with a tooth pick, or point of the knife blade on smaller areas.

This beginner is always greatful for good advice ;o)

Cheers
    Mark
  11. Buki

Buki Member

We cardmodeller in Slovakia and Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia) have widely available very good polyvinylacetate dispersal glue Hercules (see http://www.druchema.cz/en/index.php?id=23&hledej=Herkules ). The glue is liquid, water dilutent and after polymerisation is transparent. Glue is easily applicable with a toothpick or brush. Its standard viscosity and behaviour of polymerisation allows comfortable working (depending on the thickness of dab). As I can remeber, it is the best glue I have ever used.

P.S. the traditional package I have used more than two dozen of years - 250 g bottle ( http://www.druchema.cz/en/index.php?id_search=124&id=12&x[0]=3&x[1]=3 )
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

Another plug for Elmer's: as far as long lasting goes, furniture I built thirty years ago is still holding together perfectly. Elmer's glue was my glue of choice then.....and still is for most woodworking projects. To prevent warpage--you just have to clamp the glue joint. To use it like a contact cement, lightly coat both pieces, allow to dry until very tacky, and press the parts together. Just like in woodworking, clamping pressure is a major factor in getting good joints, along with penetration of the pores. I've tried Aileen's, and I don't care for it's heavy viscosity--it doesn't penetrate the pores of the paper enough and I've had joints come apart.

However--you can't have too many different types of adhesives on hand. Not just for modeling, but for general purposes around the house. There is no such thing as a truly universal adhesive: you'll always find one that works better for a given application. I intend to keep exploring the shelves of my local hardware and hobby shops, and the pages of specialty catalogs for new and better glues.
  13. Buki

Buki Member

Rickstef - please delete this message (I have seen each spam classified as "Tools of trade" - I thought the category is considered less serious :))
  14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

point out the spam to me Buki

I am not sure where you are seeing this?

Tools of the Trade is the correct section to talk about glue, or learning about the various kinds we all use

If you can show me the spam in this thread, I will remove it

Rick
  15. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

For regular assemblies:
    Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue

For full sheet laminating:
    3M Super77
  16. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Hi All,
    Does someone know where to buy Wiccoll glue? My supply is running low and I want to replenish!

regards,
    Mike