leaning Atlas locos

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by alcuin, Jan 8, 2008.

1. alcuin

alcuin Member

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the tendency that some Atlas engines have to lean slightly to one side. If you look at them head on they're a bit cockeyed. Not all of them do this, for example, the ones in the "classic" series don't, nor do the old Atlas/Kato models, but in others it's quite noticeable (like my SD50 and Dash 8-40b). My guess is that it has to do with the way the gears are arranged, but whatever it is, it bugs me to no end.

Chris
  2. MarcO

MarcO Member

Yikes I hope not I just ordered a N ATLAS SD-50 SP LOCOMOTIVE rd # 5516 DCC. Ill let you know whats up when I get it.
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I've noticed that the more recent Atlas diesels seem much lighter than the older ones (about three years older or so) and they seem to have a tendency to come apart a bit easier too (shell from the frame). I haven't noticed the lean though...are you sure it's sitting correctly on the frame with no pinched wires underneath the shell?
  4. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

I bought my first Atlas diesel a few days ago, an RS 11, I'll check it for that lean tomorrow. I have noticed that the front and back hand rails lean in, toward the cab. I can't decide whether to try to bend them out or just leave well enough alone. Other wise, it runs great.
    Dave
  5. alcuin

alcuin Member

It might just be the curse of my neurotic perfectionism. :oops: I tend to notice even the slightest imperfections that normal folks either wouldn't notice at all or would shrug off as no big deal.