layout

gerbs4me

Nov 10, 2002
www.angelfire.com
I found the perfect table to put my layout on. Its a half of a Ping-Pong table. It measures at 60in. x 54in. I think that will be big enough for my layout.

mykroft

Nov 15, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
That's a great starter table, I've seen at least one incredible layout in an even smaller space (60"x48"). If you've got the other half, keep it around for expansion, as 5x9 gives you a lot more options than 4x8 does.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi gerbs4me, Ping pong tables are a very good starter table as it's already built with legs. I built an N-scale layout on one of the (Fullsize) for a friend of mine a few years ago.

Have fun friend.
Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
OK Chris, here's a project for you. You'll have to go scratch or maybe bash a Jordan Mack 15 ton model. You can power it with a bach gandydancer. If you succede, you will probably have the smallest critter on the board. Rat neow, the lil 15 ton Mack is probably the smallest, in tonnage and scale size. I'm probably 100% right, unless I'm wrong :D :D :D

BTW: It's an Atlas 8 ton; ain't she a beaut!?!?!?

Attachments

• atlas8ton.jpg
    atlas8ton.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 231

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Jon, You have got me beat, they are absolutly beu-ti-ful.:D :eek: :)
Has the 8 ton got three poles?????

I just love the Pan on the 27 ton fomoco, lets pull it up go on do it jon pull up the pan go on jon:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
( moist or drool dont now which 'help') send the towel back please.:) :) :) :)

It is HO gauge eh Jon??

Cheers.
Chris.

NICE;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Hey Chris, I don't know much about the (Crocodile Hunter accent: ON) beautiful industrial trollies (Crocodile Hunter accent: OFF), except their weight rating and who made them. BTW: The 2nd one is a Baldwin, made for Ford. I think the second one would be an easy kit bash from a Gandydancer. You may need to extend the deck a few scale feet, but then all is need is any easy box cab and railing. Can you get the pantagraph somewhere? A functional one? I think yes it's a 3 pole on that first shot.

This one is also a Baldwin, 13 ton, (Crocodile Hunter accent: ON) ain't she a beaut!(Crocodile Hunter accent: OFF)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Jon and gerb , sorry mate jon and I have been going on a bit but you know its kind of nice to see what Jon has in his collection and its about time Jon, you got some overhead up and working seems like your almost there eh Jon???

The Pantagraph we favour is the Marklin pan it works great and has a nice wide contact area. My LHS gets them for me at $18 Canadian not bad eh, would you like me to send you one????
It can be done.
If you check out the pic Jon you will see the pan in action.
That Baldwin is a beut of a model Where did you get them???:rolleyes:

Let me know if you need a Pan.
Cheers.
Chris.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 205

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Looks like your thread got hijacked for a while there. It happens a lot around here. Anyway, maybe we're back on track.

Where are you planning on putting your half-a-ping-pong table? (And what the h*ll happened to the other half? ;) ) Try to put it where you can get to at least three of the sides. If you put it in a corner so that you can only get to two of the sides, there will be a lot of it that you won't be able to reach. And guess where the derailments will happen!

If you can get to all four sides, that's even better. Then you can, if you want, put a divider down the middle or something.

Hi gerbs,
I'm with billk, use the whole table if you can, esp for HO, 5x9 is a good size. The table is fairly light weight, and could be pulled away from the wall for working access to the back side. Any wider and you can't reach the middle without a cutout.

hey jon, what the heck is #5 sittin' on?? That one is THE ONE!!
(JMHO)

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Half A Ping-Pong Table...

Reminds me of an old joke.

Salesman to Supervisor: "Some idiot wants to buy HALF a ping-pong table!"...turns to see Gerbs4me standing behind him..."and this FINE gentleman would like to buy the OTHER half.":D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
CID: I'm not sure what #5 is sitting on. I don't know anything about the photo's. They are from a '30's cyclopedia.

Chris: I don't have any of these built. I probably will scratch build one. These are actual prototype photo's. Don't need a pantagraph yet, thanks. Lets start a new thread if we are going to further discuss these.

Hey Gerbs, I was thinking about this ping pong table. If you have the whole thing, and if it's like the one I had when I was a little kid (last week?), it folds in the middle. But the important thing is that when it folds, the two halves pull away from each other, so you can have a track joint there and when you fold it, the track just seperates. My "test loop" is two seperate 3 X 6 ft. sections that clamp together. I cut back the ties at the point where the track joins and slide the joiners in away from the joint when it's seperated. That way they don't get buggered when I put it together. Works great and it's easy. Heck of a big test loop too!

Sorry to have hijacked the thread. I hope nobody got their panties in a bind. We'll move on if there's more to be said, or we'll at least post pics of them on a ping pong table :D :D :D

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Jon......off thread topic

Hehehehe....nyuck nyuck nyuck......guffaw.......chuckle..... :D :D :D :D :D

Tuned in late to this thread....... Crocodile Accent ON......mate, yer killin' me, tears runnin' down me face. :D :D :D :D :D Kinda embarrassing in an engineering office.

Can't read your posts anymore.......fear of laughing to death.......:D :D :p :p :p Man I love this board!

Smilin' Stan
:D :D