Layout Update...July 2004

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
We still have a ton of trees to make up and "plant" before I will consider the scenicing "finished".

I spent most of this past night getting about 90% of the ground cover put on. Only reason I stopped was I ran out of white glue.

It took me two large bottles mixed 50/50 with glue/ Water/sop mixture.

The soap really helps it spray a nice fine mist onto the foam after I have put it down so it doesn't blow it away as bad.

The droplets add a sort of tesxture to the fine foam that makes it look like typical grass in my part of the country. the sorta ratty clumps of grass and less lite the golf course look.

I am however dreading having to go over the track now with fine sandpaper to get the glue residue off the rails. I didn't have anymasking tape.

Also, I have quite a bit of the foam stuck to the roads that I will have to scrape off once the glue dries thoroughly. It just clumps up and doesnt come off when it is still wet.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The Grass looks good and I certainly don't think you have too many bushes. Just look at the prototype, the fields are a mass of 3-d texture with different height grass, weeds, and scrub brush. I'm trying to do the same thing on my layout but I lent a tub of woodland scenics coarse ground truf to a friend and haven't been able to track him down to get it back.
One other thing, I wouldn't advise clkeaning your track with any grade of sandpaper. It will put scratches in the rail tops that will collect dirt and oxidization over time. Go and get yourself a track cleaning eraser, it will work much better over the long run for you.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Looking good! I love the dance hall! Its amazing how the "flood" enhances the appearance of your world. :) As for the area with the bushes I think its fine...and might look good with even more! Keep up the good work and have fun!
Ralph

F

Fred_M

Good job. Here's some tips, In August Walmart historically has Elmers white glue for 5/$1 as a going back to school special. Last year I purchased 40 bottles. I have 6 left. It's a good investment. The second I learned from Shamus, use blue washer fluid to dilute whiteglue to make wet glue. You will like it. Fred