layout progress

wickman

ok guys as here's is the final plan :eek:
By the way the grey matter is roadway ( yes I know what it looks like )
the perimeter rail starting in the lower left is a 3% grade going up then leveling off at the top left inside then declines from the top right to just below the sawmill then there's a 2% grade rail inside of that doing the same . And lots of bridges :)
[URL=http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=planbridgesf4.jpg] [/URL]

Here's the below bench staging yard

What will run this layout
- Digitrax super chief 5 amp with 3 controlers tethered
- I have On Guard reverse mods for the staging yard and main level reverse loops
- 42 tortise switch machines
- all peco turnouts with springs removed
- bd20 block detectors for the hidden staging yard and decline to staging yard
- Kadee Delayed Uncouplers
-Atlas Turntable with motor
-DS64 Stationary Docoder turnouts
-AHD-PS4 two controls, will give power for 4 power districts

This is the already made mountain tunnel that will hide the stageing yard decline entrance
It's a left over mountain from the previous layout

And the mountain where the mine will be placed it will have to be modified a bit as the mine tracks are going to change

fsm 170 super sawmill

forestlumber

stuffysbrewery

cimarron mine

Here's the actual mine that I have 75% completed

rollin sawyer chemicals

jeffries point

campbells richmond barrel manufacturing

majestic hardware and feed

dpm papa wheelies

dpm harlee and son

icing platform john allen design

emporium seafood

duffys coal foxrun diorama

freight depot

campbells ayer's chairs factory

barnstead lumber and starkeys coal

Here's the update on whats been accomplished.
Next step is to print out the main bench plan and start laying it out.

For any who are thinking I bin working hard making all the structures here's the actual lineup
Built already by me
cimarron mine

Kits that I own that need to be built
fsm 170 super sawmill
campbells richmond barrel manufacturing
campbells ayer's chairs factory
dpm papa wheelies
dpm harlee and son
DPM's Schultz's Garage Kit
DPM's 'Skip's Chicken and Ribs
DPM's '1st National Bank'
DPM Robert's Dry Goods
DPM's Small Town Garage Modular Kit
Slash & Sawdust Burner kit
BAR Mills miracle chair company
BAR Mills earls oil
BAR Mills mooneys plumbing
BAR Mills majestic hardware and feed
BAR Mills wicked wandas

stuffysbrewery
rollinsawyerchemicals
jeffries point
icing platform john allen design
emporium seafood
duffys coal foxrun diorama
barnstead lumber and starkeys coal
Ebay purchase of finished scratch build
freight depot
forestlumber
:)
And as far as I've gotten I cleaned up best i could for time available.
Tortoises are installed on all these turnouts.All the drop leads are soldered on and dangling below,tonite I hope to run the main level buss wire.
Then I get to run some trains for a bit. By first of next week the rest of the flex track and roadbed will be in.
This pick is of lower right area entrance to staging is connected and path to where incline will go is shown

well you know ...helping specs

Shows the passing siding and on the far left will be the spur to mine and tunnel and up the incline

The run over to the left loop and industrial area

arrows depicting turnouts to industries installed

end of reverse loop and beginning of passing siding

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Wow wickman, that looks like it is comming along great and at a steady pace. Good job :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I like those buildings you got there. They look pretty old and good.

Keep us posted with more pictures as you go.

Scoobie

Wickman, that layout is insane:thumb: looks like you have your work cut out for you. How long have you been working on it. It looks great:thumb: . What are the dimensions?

wickman

sheesh I posted wrong plan I'll repost that one . Thanks guys the dimensions are in a kinda 16' by 16' area actually you can see the numbers on the plan to get better idea :wave:

wickman

MR Bubbles when is it ever done LOL
But I will be sure to post progress pics.
I have this on several sites and whereever I find its just wasting space I will be sure to discontinue posting . I've always gotten good advice and appreciation here:wave:

wickman

Bin a busy weekend and as ussual it took me twice the time to learn something than a normal person , but got it done no matter.
Spent the weekend figuring out the staionary decoder setup. I also soldered all the feeds to the edge connectors which then slip onto the tortoise switch contacts.
Figured out a bit of a board setup and also made up a couple positive and negative power bars to feed the ds64's and what ever else will need the power off the dc power pack.
So here's a few pics its not quite as organized as I like but its a good start and will be mounted away from the super chief with one loconet coming from the super chief loconet to one of the ds64 loconet plugs then all the ds64 's will be changed together as shown.
The computer will also have a loconet connection , the puter makes setting up much much easier.
Before you say anything all those wires which are connected to the tortoises will have to be stapled up under the bench work in an orderly fashion of course.Its a beginning.

Each turnout will have a number written on the bench corresponding to the ds64 switch to be thrown

UP SD40-2

wickman, WOW! looks like you are coming along GREAT!:thumb: you do some VERY impressive modeling!!:thumb::D i cant wait to see more progress, keep the pics coming!:thumb::D -Deano

wickman

I got the darn ds64's figured out finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy . Here's hpw it had to be hooked up with a seperate power supply although it could also be connected right to the track power.
The ds64's each putting out 4 addresses ( 4 addresses = 4 tortoise switches) also needed an individual board address ( this took some reading) There are 11 ds64's with starting address of 1 and last ds64 has address 44 .:wave:

wickman

Thanks Russel I do like the risers and have tried cookie cutting on my last layout and it was very easy to do but the risers are more precise .o I'll have some new progrees pics in the next couple days I just finished installing the incline risers and I have the roadbed glued down . It's going to take me a bit of figuring to see where the bridges will go I gotta be careful with this part as I'll have to cut into the risers and I don't wannna goof up . My old layout started as a 5x9 and it grew somehow . Here's a link to the old layout . I tore it up in Jan. of this year for this layout.http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=18618 I think you'll appreciate what I had done on the old one. I thought I did well for my first time.:wave:

wickman

Busy weekend ,I finally got the risers installed I decided to use the 2% risers rather than the 3% although I may find a place for the 3% risers down the road ,along with the track I even ruffed in 3 bridges the low profile bridges just need the low sides attached I made these for the previous layout.
I used loctite power grab to attach the risers to the benchwork I then put plaster cloth on the top surface of the risers this will keep the ballast from falling through the cracks , then used powergrab to attach cork roadbed to plaster cloth top , then used the powergrab again to attach rail to roadbed . I had to install the big truss bridge before securing the track so well I was at it I added 2 other bridges.
The main line is pretty well done I just need to add the industrial spur tracks to the turnouts which are already installed , well except for a couple .
Woohoo almost time to cut in the diaramas and start on some scenery. Darn almost forgot the wiring, oh well had a moment.

wickman

Here's a bit of an update to what I've been upto I also included a few pics of items madmike threw in when I purchased a bunch of his diaramas and other scratch builds
here's one of a few real nice water towers

Over all 2 diaramas in place

no diarama here just couple steamers with odds and ends in the background of scratch builts

the rail has to be put in place for these guys to get to work ( turnout is already in place)

I cut the benchwork for the river and I will complete a couple more bridges

My son and I had a few minutes so we tried to envision the new mountain \tunnel The mine will be propped in front and I will be using bragdon molds for the rocks

Another of the watertowers and thinking the Tannery may have found a new home

Rail to the chemical factory

From the chemical factory

Barnstead equipment

Another angle

Another water tower

Duffy's got rail

Stuffy's brwery waiting for its rail

Another of mikes creations

ratjag

Hi wickman, :wave: :thumb: NICE,especially the buildings, some of us over the pond in the UK wish we had that space!!! I'm quite lucky to have an understanding wife who also likes trains and has allowed me to take over the dining room:D :D . I have a 12 x 8 HO US layout under constuction. Can't wait to see more pics of your progress, puts me to shame! :cry: :thumb: :thumb: :D :wave:

wickman

Thanks guys for the kind words. I wish I caould find a way to get my wife interested in the layout building. I think once we get a chance to run some trains I may be able to talk her into running a train :wave:

wickman

Here's the most upto date pics from the layout . The base plastering and shaping isn't completed but you can get the idea.
This is the mountain from the old layout the portals have to be made they'll be done using Darryl Huffman's broken rock method.
I'll be using Bragdon molds on those nice smooth surfaces and woodland scenic ground coverings.

The top left of the mountain over the portal will be built up

Toward the corner I built up the right sides to hide the decline to staging

Will be an old lost town area on the hill

You can see where the bridge will give vehicle access , the vehicle bridges you see in any pics other than under the rails are not the bridges that will be used

Waterfall area, where the scissors are is going to be a small lake

the road travels up along the side of the rail over a bridge and to the seafood restaurant

Created another tunnel to the left of the mine area

I removed the diarammas to do the messy plaster work and not break anything off the models.

This one has to be built into a hill somewhere

These portals will also be utilizing the broken rock method