layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
While today's merged railroads are a reality of economics, I still miss all those little (and some not-so-little) players that made being "stuck at a crossing" such an interesting diversion in days gone by. The "good old days". Wayne
Wayne, THANK YOU, for the NICE comments in your last post on here, really, THANK YOU!:thumb::D. hey Wayne, sure i am only 40, but i too have MANY fond memories of being "stuck at a crossing" in my folks car while growing up:thumb:. (dad and i LOVED it, ma hated it.sign1 ) CNW and the Milwaukee Road switched out the industries here in Beloit, right up till the end of both of them:(. they BOTH had mainlines right through here:D...ah yes, i wasn't around during steam(though dad relives it in his stories), but plain as day i can remember seeing the old Alco's, FM's GP's and MP15DC's that ran on the MANY tracks that at one time, was here in Beloit...yep, the "good old days". now, most of the tracks are gone:(, turned into bike paths.:cry: BUT, FORTUNATELY, some of the tracks have survived, and IC&E and UP run through here daily:thumb::D. THANKS AGAIN, Wayne...till next time, stay on track.:D -Deano View attachment 27685 View attachment 27686 View attachment 27687 View attachment 27688

Attachments

• cnw_1678.JPG
    cnw_1678.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 197
  • milw0751.JPG
    milw0751.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 196
  • cnw_rs32.JPG
    cnw_rs32.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 194
  • milw04063.JPG
    milw04063.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 195

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Hey Josh, THANKS man...

Josh, WOW, what can i say? your last post on this thread REALLY blew me away!:eek:ops::thumb::D. so many GREAT complements, i am speachless...THANKS MAN!:thumb::D. to be honest with you, i have been STRONGLY thinking about letting this thread...DIE. when i started it, the layout was only 8% complete, now its about 95% complete. really all thats left are putting up some phone poles, shrubs, couple more trees and finishing touches on "Tri-Star". i have tried to make this thread interesting, with pics and topics like "engine quality", "detailing engines", etc. i have put a "sound install" tutorial in here...just seemed like i should end it. HOWEVER, after reading your last post on here, i might keep it going for a bit. i am glad to know someone finds this thread to be enjoyable:thumb:, thanks man, makes it worth doing:thumb::D. **NOW, to answer your questions, the chain link fence is etched stainless, i got it at Walther's, i think it was about $23.00 for 180 scale feet, not kit, just cut it out and put it up, the barbed wire is already attached to it.:thumb: to answer your question on how many UP engines i have, right now, counting my 3 patched for UP engines, i have 32!!!:thumb:( thats JUST my UP engines, thats NOT counting all my CNW, Milwaukee Road, GBW and WSOR engines;)) i have pre-ordered three more UP engines:D, end of July i will get an Athearn 4-8-8-4(that will be my second 4-8-8-4, i have a Rivarossi now). in August i will be getting BLI's UP AC6000(check it out if you haven't, its slap AWESOME!). and last, but NOT least, in Oct. the Tower55 UP SD70Mace will be out, TRULY A MUST HAVE for ANY modern UP collector!!!:thumb::D. below is a pic i took about a month ago, it has all but 2 of my UP engines in it. my challenger(see page 4 of this thread), and my 4-8-4(see page 1 of this thread). at the time this pic was taken, i was in the process of leaving ALL my steam engines(3), and my DD40 & DD35 at my dads, as he has a bigger layout so i run them there every Saturday;). trying to run those HUGE engines on my switching layout was impossible:(...ANYWAYS, THANKS AGAIN Josh!, and hey, stay on track man.:D -Deano View attachment 27689

Attachments

• UP COLLECTION -2.JPG
    UP COLLECTION -2.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 199

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Thanks for the compliments and answering my questons.

That picture of all your UP Engines is awsome. Wish I had that many UP Engines!!!!!sign1

Did you see the thread on my layout. I don't think it's anything compared to yours but it's my first. My dad and Grandpa think it is great and this is the first time the internet has seen my layout so here it is if you have't seen it yet.

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=20696

Post some more pictures of the Tri-Star Industries when your done cause I just can't get enought of them.:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
Josh, you have some REAL NICE scenes on your layout:thumb:. SHEESH!, i now see why you call yourself "TruckLover":D, you have more trucks then ALL my engines, not just my UP's, but ALL of them! nice work Josh!:thumb: **Miles, you think thats bad, i don't think i have nearly enough "yellow":thumb::D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Hey Dean (Thats my dads name. It's kinda weird cause I kinda feel like im talking to my dad right now)

So instead of building that new 10' x 12' layout in the garage, I have to make a module or too. My mom changed her mind and now does not want a layout in the garage :curse::curse: :curse:

But, I have such a great idea for on'e of the modules. Have you seen doctorwaynes Gern Industries complex? Well I was talking to him and I asked him if it would be alright to do something similar to that giant complex and he said sure, go for it man. Mine will have a different name, and will be modern day. Im going to try to not copy his as much as I can but it's going to be hard.

Doctorwayne told me that if I could, I could copy the hole thing if I wanted to but I think that is wrong and kinda like "plagerism." So Mine will have some differant buildings on it than his, besides I wouldn't want to try to complete with him cause let's face it, HE WOULD WIN BY A LONG SHOT. sign1 sign1 sign1

What about you Dean, do you have anymore room for another module?

Another one would give you more chances to show off those sweet UP engines of yours!!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Great Railfan Day For ME!!

Took a vacation day today and decided to railfan some:thumb:. i took a 20min drive to Janesville, WSOR has a round house up there, and beside it are two interchange tracks for WSOR, IC&E, and UP. I GOT THERE JUST IN TIME!:D just as i pulled in, 2 UP MP15DC switchers were picking up a string of cars!!!:thumb::D i tell you what, those engines were in AWESOME SHAPE!!! i was there for about an hour, WELL WORTH THE TRIP!! i am sorry, i had to reduce the pics to get them on here, they come out of my camera at about 2megs big, i reduce them to upload them on here, it really dont do the pics justice to do that. anyways, here are a few shots i took today. hope you guys enjoy them:thumb::D -Deano View attachment 27715 View attachment 27716 View attachment 27717 View attachment 27718 View attachment 27719

Attachments

• up1.JPG
    up1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 171
  • up2.JPG
    up2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 171
  • up3.JPG
    up3.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 170
  • up4.JPG
    up4.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 169
  • up5.JPG
    up5.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 169

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
...But, I have such a great idea for on'e of the modules. Have you seen doctorwaynes Gern Industries complex? Well I was talking to him and I asked him if it would be alright to do something similar to that giant complex and he said sure, go for it man. Mine will have a different name, and will be modern day. Im going to try to not copy his as much as I can but it's going to be hard.

Doctorwayne told me that if I could, I could copy the hole thing if I wanted to but I think that is wrong and kinda like "plagerism." So Mine will have some differant buildings on it than his, besides I wouldn't want to try to complete with him cause let's face it, HE WOULD WIN BY A LONG SHOT. What about you Dean, do you have anymore room for another module?Another one would give you more chances to show off those sweet UP engines of yours!!
Josh, i too, find Wayne's work to be VERY INSPIRATIONAL!:thumb::D HOWEVER, even though Wayne was nice enough to give you the ok to copy his work(and that was nice of him:thumb:), my advice is if you really like "Gern Industries", do something similar, put your own touches into it. everyone is different, thats what makes each of our layouts so darn neat:thumb:. i for example model what i have seen, or what i feel is right to me;). Wayne, you, and i, heck EVERYONE, sees things differently, and models the type of things they like best. i seen your layout pics, you are big on trucks, perhaps you could use "Gern" as a base for something to do with rail and trucks? that would be putting YOUR OWN "style" to it. don't worry about "competing" with anyone, its a loosing battle, there is ALWAYS someone better;). BOTTOM LINE, since Wayne was nice enough to give you the OK, use the things you like best about "Gern" and put your own likes/style to it, and i am sure it will come out fine!:thumb: **as far as another module for me, well, i have thought about it, and would like to, but probably not for awhile. my son(13) and i live in a small apartment right now, and i really just don't have the room to do it. i am lucky my dad, though NOT in great shape, still models. for the last 3 months we have been working on a new layout for him on the weekends:thumb:. it's set in the transition period with CNW and the Milwaukee Road. about 8'x19' in his basement. since i have been helping him we have set up 4 tracks for my "monsters of the Wasatch"(2 Big-Boys, 1 Challenger and 1 F-E-F "UP Northern'') on it. for now, when i want to give my engines a stretch, i just take them to his house on Saturdays and run them:thumb::D. Thanks for asking!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
:wave: Hey Dean,

Thats what I ment by making it similar to Gern Industries. Mine will have some of the same stuff but mostly differant. Im thinking of calling it Dark Star Milling or something like that. It will have a large building for my trucks (a must have to me anyway) and then some pretty big milling buildings like in Gern Industries.

Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I am just out there to copy other people's work cause im not.

I think that it is great that you and your dad are building a layout together. I wish my dad would work with me on mine. He just comes in my room and looks and says good job. I guess you could call that helping?

Shoot, I was really hoping for another module from you. You did such and awsome job on your this one that I can't even begin to image the next one. Hopefully that time will come for you to build another soon.

Hey I have a queston, you said your son is 13, does he help you out with that sweet module?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I am just out there to copy other people's work cause im not. Hey I have a queston, you said your son is 13, does he help you out...
Josh, thanks for the kind words.:D DON'T worry about people thinking you are copying others, believe me, by the time you put your own "touches/style" to it, it WONT be the same:thumb:. does my son help me on my layouts?sign1 well, probably for an hour total on this one. he is into the grand theft auto games, among other video games. he would rather do that, hang out with his friends, and has just started liking girls:thumb:. those things are MUCH more important to him then trains right now. cant blame him, my dad and i built my first layout when i was 9(1974), by the time i was 13 i guess i was the same way:D. i was in and out of modeling till i was about 29, have been doing it strong ever since:D. good luck Josh, and hey man...stay on track!:D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
:wave: Dean,

I used to play those games non-stop too.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still hang out with my friends and with my girlfriend most of the time and work on the layout in the morning or at night and sometimes durring the day.

I think your son will want to help you more and more over the years if you stay in the hobby, which I don't see you dropping out anytime soon.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I Don't know...looking at all that UP stuff made me UPitty! :rolleyes: :D Anyway, I gotta hand it to trucklover who has a fantastic lil' layout for his trucks. It kinda reminds me of the old saying "you want french fries with your ketchup, monsieur?" :D

I wonder if Trucklover built the layout so the railroad car have just spurs, or if he can actually run something...? :confused: Train traffic has a LOT of competition here! :cool:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
:wave: Hi Miles, Ya my layout right now does just have all spurs and sidings on it. Theres no way that a circle would make a 2' width with the engines I want to run.:cry:

Most of the layout is just construction and heavy industrial area with some train cars, which kinda sucks but I happy with it right now.

I guess the big layout will have to wait until im older and move out of my parents house?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
That would be cool, maybe I will do that for my second module.

This one is going to be just a huge industry. Kinda like what Doctorwayne did with his GERN industries complex. Im thinking of Calling it DARK STAR MILLING.

Theres only going to be one road on this one though, it's going to lead to the warehouse part of the complex (Peterson's Tool Specialties Building). I want this module to be almost all switching.

Gee, I hope that UP SD40-2 doesn't mind that I talking about my new module when this thread is on his. Hey Dean, let me know if it's any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.