layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorwayne

Dean, nice work on your commuter train. If you want to redo that gong type bell, Details West has just the part you need: from Walthers it's part 235-152 @ two for a buck.
Caliban, nice loco that you stole.:thumb: How does it run?

Wayne

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne said:
Dean, nice work on your commuter train. If you want to redo that gong type bell, Details West has just the part you need: from Walther's it's part 235-152 @ two for a buck.
Caliban, nice loco that you stole.:thumb: How does it run? Wayne
Wayne, Miles, Tobias, Josh, and viperman, THANKS for the GREAT complements!!!:D :D Wayne, a special THANKS!, to you for the bell info, complete with the part #:thumb: :D i made a BIG order with Walther's tonight to make it worth it. not only did i order the bell you told me about, but i ordered 2 more MRC Brillance sound decoders, a pack of 4 taconite loads for dads ore cars, loads for my new coalporters, a new pin vice drill set, and a BUNCH of engine detail parts i was out of:thumb: :D . **Miles, not sure why CNW took the top light of the F7's out to put a bell in its place on their commuter trains, sorry:((good question though;) ) . **Tobias, i AGREE with Wayne, you totally STOLE that awesome engine, wish i would have got one at that price;):D(though if was mine, i would have relettered it for UP;)tooth1 ) . **viperman, perhaps i will weather the tanks and trucks on the commuter train to simulate use, but here on the "Rock Valley Sub", we like to keep the paint clean:thumb: tooth1 . THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano

cnw1961

Deano, great job on your F7 :thumb: :thumb: . I don’t know if ’d dare to do this to my F7. Very nice looking commuter train. I especially like the first shot of the rear end, very good picture. BTW, what track do you use on your layout?

Miles, you are right, the boxcabs are nice and this B71 is really weird. But I like strange looking locos, would like to have one for my layout :D :D :D .

caliban

Hi Deano and Wayne,

I couldn't believe it, but I got the steamer for that price on eBay from a retailer! Looks as if Trix made a close out sale on the Mikados. You can find a lot of them on eBay Germany, in all versions (incl. UP)! The only drawback on my engine is, that it has NEM wheelsets and not RP25, but a RP25 would have cost $50 more. And €107 incl. s&h, can't believe it!!! My LHS has the same loco for €329 on "Sale".
It runs like a Trix, quite, smooth and sloooooooooooooow!!! The LokSound decoder is not the latest version, but it sounds much better than QSI!!! I can post more pics if you're interested, tell me what part you wanna see in a close up!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hey Deano, I tryed your wheathering thing on my glacier gravel building and I think it worked out to be good. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Glacier Gravel wheathered.jpg
    Glacier Gravel wheathered.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Glacier Gravel wheathered 2.jpg
    Glacier Gravel wheathered 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 122
  • Glacier Gravel wheathered 3.jpg
    Glacier Gravel wheathered 3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 124

cn nutbar

hi dean---i always enjoy your threads but i have to admit those pictures of the 3964 on your dad's layout were for me the best yet---thanks,nutbar

UP SD40-2

cn nutbar said:
hi dean---i always enjoy your threads but i have to admit those pictures of the 3964 on your dad's layout were for me the best yet---thanks,nutbar
:D THANKS! nutbar!:D of all my steamers, my two Challengers are by far my favorites;):D. heres one more shot of one of my challengers, and a shot of my FEF-3:D . hey nutbar AND Wayne, as far as steamers go, i am REALLY into articulateds! just curious, do you guys have any? THANKS! :D -Deano View attachment 29125 View attachment 29126

Attachments

• chal.JPG
    chal.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 95
  • #840.JPG
    #840.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 100

UP SD40-2

MilesWestern said:
...AHHHH!!!! :eek: I just found the wierdest, ugliest locomotive ever built!!! (not for the sqeamish!) http://home.att.net/~iii2/rrpix/B71-irm3.jpg
http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcabsb.html Dean, Wayne, and CNnurbar, you'll appreciate the C&NW, and CN boxcabs, actually nice looking!
Miles:wave:THANKS for the links!:thumb: i liked the boxcabs, in fact, i wish i had one in my collection:thumb: , just havent found a decent one to add to it:( . as far as the "ugliest" engine...i LIKED IT!:D i thought it was rather "neat" looking;) tooth1 . **Kurt, THANK YOU! for the kind words on my commuter:D . hey, what did you mean you wouldnt dare do something like i did to my F7, i have seen your work;) , honestly, you could out do ANYTHING i have done by 1000x!!!:thumb: your "wooden"(styrene)boxcar is BAR NONE- the BEST scratch building i have EVER SEEN!:thumb: and your layout is nothing short of, OUTSTANDING!:thumb: :D . **Josh, WOW!!!:thumb: :thumb: , your mine TRULY came out AWESOME!!!:thumb: , GREAT JOB!! :D **Tobias, you can post ANY pics you want of that AWESOME(stolentooth1 )ENGINE!! i see you agree, LokSound RULES!;) :D THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano View attachment 29127

Attachments

• armb71ts.jpg
    armb71ts.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 96

MilesWestern

I'd say 90% if my opinion was based in the shock value of how badly (or excellently) weathered it was, your Westinghouse builders photo does it good justice, and since it's in Dr.Wayne's 1930's era, why not see if he can pick up a few! :D just kidding! :D

UP SD40-2

viperman said:
Deano, my railroad likes to keep the paint fresh too. No rust or dirt down here
viperman:wave:, i love to weather freight cars, i NEVER weather passenger cars, and though i have weathered 3 engines, i REALLY hate to weather engines...HOWEVER, there is a little "trick" i have come up with that satisfies my engine weathering needs;) . what i do is weather the lower half of the engine; trucks, air and fuel tanks, by doing this, i feel it makes the engine appear to be "used", yet well taken care of:thumb::D . some may feel this is not enough, but for me, i am more then happy with the outcome;)tooth1 . below are a couple examples.:D -Deano View attachment 29187 View attachment 29188 View attachment 29189 View attachment 29190 View attachment 29196

Attachments

• w.JPG
    w.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 83
  • x.JPG
    x.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 83
  • y.JPG
    y.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 81
  • z.JPG
    z.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 79
  • zz.JPG
    zz.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 81

viperman

Those do look nice. I haven't gotten around to weathering anything yet. I'm actually kinda affraid to weather my one good engine (Athearn GP38-2 I think - been a while) as I don't want to mess it up. Have you added weathering details to the exhaust outlets, like a little black wash or anything?

Herc Driver

Deano - I like the greasy/oily/fuel look below the paint line too...how do you get it looking so good and realistic? I've been using some burnt umber paint mixed with water, but it lacks that dirty/fuel spilled look you capture. One thing I do is add a watered down mixture of burnt umber and any grey to the exhausts...just enough to highlight them but not enough to make them look overly dirty. (Hey, I like clean machines what can I say). It looks like you might be doing that same thing on a few of your diesels.

Russ Bellinis

I've been following this thread since the beginning. As I opened it this time I noticed it is at 495 replies. Here is my contribution toward 500!

UP SD40-2

Herc Driver said:
Deano - I like the greasy/oily/fuel look below the paint line too...how do you get it looking so good and realistic?...
THANKS Herc!:D i weather the bottom half of my engines with a mixture of 2tbl spoons of Polly Scale "engine black", to about one pint of rubbing alcohol. when taking off the solution, i wipe in DOWN STROKES to simulate spills and rain washed down oil, grease and dirt:thumb: .** Russ, THANKS!, for joining in on the "count down" :D . THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 29205 View attachment 29206

Attachments

• 54.JPG
    54.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 55.JPG
    55.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 154

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
That engine sure looks good Deano, and looks even better with those big UP Autoracks of yours!!!:thumb: :thumb:

Herc Driver

Wow...looking at what can be done with a great looking engine and some weathering almost makes me wish I was into HO. Sometimes I think I'm going to buy just one diesel in HO just for a desk top display - ever since Tower55 came out with the newest BNSF colors on a unit. Those diesels look really good Deano. I'm going to use some of those techniques in my Nscale stuff. So far, I've slightly weathered a few of my diesels...with a mixture of alchohol and burnt umber, but will try the engine black color (my LHS finally got some railroad colors in). I think the results will be better with the engine black - especially on the trucks and exhaust areas. I've been adding a touch of rusty rail coloring to the couplers too. And yep...I'm going to try your boxcar weathering technique on my Nscale stuff - will post pictures when I get all this done. Keep the pic's coming Deano!

Status
Not open for further replies.