layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Thoroughbreed:wave:, thats quite ALRIGHT, you are making your SD90MAC into a BNSF!:thumb: , even though UP is MY FAVORITE road, does NOT mean i think it should be everyone else's;) tooth1 . please post pics of it when you get some!:thumb: :D i would like to see how it turned out!:D THANKS!-Deano View attachment 29005

Attachments

• UPSD9043MAC.JPG
    UPSD9043MAC.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 96

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tobias:wave:, NICE RSD-15 SP!!!:thumb: :D I too, have a BLI RSD-15!!:D GREAT RUNNER and has AWESOME SOUND!:thumb: :D . hey, i went to the hobby shop tonight and bought some "stuff" i think will be right up YOUR alley;) :D . i need a night or two to put them together, i will post some pics of the new "stuff"(the bottom pic will give you a HUGE clue;) tooth1 ) , Sat or Sunday night, let me know what you think;) :D. :D THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 29006 View attachment 29007

Attachments

• DSC04601.JPG
    DSC04601.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 96
  • cabcoach.JPG
    cabcoach.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 97

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Dean,

I didn't get the clue...Could you be a little more explicit...??? Been out of touch for a few days (work...AAAgghhh..!.). Getting back to the twine grass, I did do the wet twine trick & it straightened out perfectly!! Tomorrow I'll get to "planting" some & see how it looks!

Gus (LC&P).

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

hmmm, I've seen that before, may be...ah yes, may be because I've a complete set of Kato bi-level cars and matching Amtrak F40PH. Looks like the workers can get to work on rails soon.
I don't have any UP engines, but I've photos of UP engines! I guess it's a SD45-T2 and a SD40-2 at Roseville Yard, CA. The photo is a bit blurry, I took it through the window of a Superliner Lounge (Train 5 "CZ", march this year). The second photo is Roseville Yard too, model railroading big style.

Attachments

• s Roseville.jpg
    s Roseville.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 90
  • remote locos.jpg
    remote locos.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 94

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Gus:wave:, glad you popped in!:D i'm sorry, but i cant give ANY MORE clues as to what i bought at the hobby store last night.sign1 i too, read Ralphs AWESOME tutorial on twine weeds:thumb: . hope it works out GREAT for you:thumb: :D , please post some pics how it turned out;):D . **Tobias:wave:, NICE UP PICS!:thumb: the first engine is a SD40-T2, the second engine is an SD40-2:thumb: :D .

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
My Progress On Dads Layout...

well folks, i have had a BUSY 2 nights and one day working on Dads layout:thumb::D. i spent the whole time working on the 10' section that was at one time, a switching layout we made about 3-4yrs ago. we took the old switching layout and have incorporated it into the new, large layout. alot of stuff was broke on it from the move, and i had to redo some of the track to make it work with the new layout. i fixed just about everything, re-grassed and planted a few more trees and shrubs on the whole 10' section:thumb: . about all i have left to do is ballast the places where i put in new track;):D. i brought a few of my engines over today and took TONS of pics, took alot of pics of my steamers i keep there too:thumb::D. Dad liked my UP MP15DC, so he sent me home with his(like i need MORE projects:rolleyes:tooth1 ) to detail it up for him. i have a few CNW MP15DC pics, so at least i wont have to look them up;). looks like i might not get to finish my "new items" i picked up at the hobby store till mid week:( . as soon as i finish them, I'll post em!:D here are a couple pics i took today. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 29053 View attachment 29054

Attachments

• Dl109city.JPG
    Dl109city.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 130
  • CITYCHALLENGER.JPG
    CITYCHALLENGER.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 132

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice pictures, Dean. The DL-109 was a loco that took me a while to warm to, but yours certainly looks good in those C&NW colours. As for the Challenger, well, I can't think of any that don't look good: it was simply a well-balanced design. Your Dad's layout provides an attractive setting for both.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANKS Wayne!

doctorwayne said:
Nice pictures, Dean...As for the Challenger, well, I can't think of any that don't look good: it was simply a well-balanced design... Wayne
THANK YOU!, for the complements Wayne!:D :D i thought you might appreciate some steam;):D. to be honest with you, EVERY TIME i take pics of my steam these days, YOU, and nutbar come to mind:D . heres a few more of one of my challengers:D, sorry about the poor pic quality:( . my camera takes pics at just over 2megs big, i have to reduce them down to between 50-60kb to put them on here, big loss in quality. hope you like 'em though:D .THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 29070 View attachment 29071 View attachment 29072 View attachment 29073 View attachment 29074

Attachments

• DSC04770.JPG
    DSC04770.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04785.JPG
    DSC04785.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC04825.JPG
    DSC04825.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04885.JPG
    DSC04885.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC04909.JPG
    DSC04909.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 107

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nuttin' wrong wit' dem pitchurs, Dean.:thumb: :thumb: Having the automobile in the foreground certainly helps to convey the size of the loco, too.
I like the wigwag signal, too. It reminds me of one that I've seen somewhere else. :D

GRNNLE_262.JPG

When I first posted that picture, somebody asked "who manufactured the wigwag?". I couldn't remember (still can't), but I guessed that it was either Oregon Rail Supply or American Limited. Do you know for sure who the manufacturer is?

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Nuttin' wrong wit' dem pitchurs, Dean.:thumb: :thumb: Having the automobile in the foreground certainly helps to convey the size of the loco, too...When I first posted that picture, somebody asked "who manufactured the wigwag?". I couldn't remember (still can't), but I guessed that it was either Oregon Rail Supply or American Limited. Do you know for sure who the manufacturer is? Wayne
AWESOME PIC Wayne!!!:thumb: :thumb: and THANKS for the kind words:D . you bet i know who makes those wig wags:thumb: , and YOU did too :D , they ARE made by American Limited Models, Walthers #147-5001:D THANKS Wayne!:D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I love this thread. Don't usually get a chance to check in as much as I used to. Deano, if you don't live too far north in WI, I would like to take a look at your collection and layout sometime, along with your dad's. My collection and layout are basically nothing. I live near tracks (in both Crystal Lake and Winfield) that run UP. I do have some cool pictures I've taken but, alas, my computer is getting fixed, so don't have access to the pics now. I do like UP, but think BN (not BNSF) is my favorite

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Turning an Athearn F7, into a Commuter...

well folks, i have decided to make a commuter train:thumb: . CNW had one that stopped here in Beloit till 70-71 to pick up those that worked in Chicago. the train consisted of 1 F7, 2 six window coaches, and 1 four window cab/coach. Friday night i purchased the 2 coaches, and the 1 cab/coach i needed to make the train up. i have a CNW F7 Athearn Genesis i picked up at a show about 3-4yrs ago. the F7 runs GREAT, and has LokSound in it:thumb: . PROBLEM, the F unit wasn't even close to how CNW had their F units set up for commuter service:( . here is what i did to make the F7 closer to how CNW had them: i painted the grills on the sides of the engine green, placed a muffler on the rear of the roof, put sunshades on it, a firecracker antenna, and rotating beacon on it, installed windshield wipers on it, put an MU hookup on the front left, and hoses on the front right, turned it into a three window unit, put 2 coats of Dull Cote on it, and i simulated a bell where the top light was.:thumb: :D . F7's came with 2 front lights, CNW, for commuter service removed the top light and placed a bell in that spot. i did this by painting over the light, looks "kinda funny", so i think i will take the painted over light out and try and simulate the bell with 2 pieces of styrene;) . i doubt i will do that until the grab irons i have ordered for it come in though;) . ANYWAYS...here are a couple shots of how it turned out so far:D . :D -Deano View attachment 29082 View attachment 29083 View attachment 29085 View attachment 29086 View attachment 29087

Attachments

• cnw1.JPG
    cnw1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 106
  • cnw2.JPG
    cnw2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
  • cnw4.JPG
    cnw4.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 112
  • cnw5.JPG
    cnw5.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 416.JPG
    416.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 100

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
viperman:wave:, THANK YOU!, for the complements!:D not sure where Crystal lake is, but don't think its that far away:thumb: . busy time for me now, but hey, do you go to the Rockford train shows? we could hook up there, and perhaps stop by the house after:thumb: . :D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Never heard about the Rockford shows. Where/when are they? Are they just swaps or full shows with running layouts, etc? My 21 month son would like to see the layouts running I think, as I would too

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

Great to see a some passenger train action!!! I've got my first sound equipped steam today, a real bargain for about $130!!!! It's a TRIX Mikado factory equipped with LokSound.:thumb:
Great looking commuter train!!! Hope it will see action on your dad's layout, the Kato gallery cars are smooth runners and they work very well in push-pull-mode. They're much better runners than the Walthers gallery cars.

Attachments

• mikado.jpg
    mikado.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.