layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Deano, here is my locomotive roster.

1 ATSF GP-7 (P2K)
1 ATSF DS-4-4-1000 (Stewart)my favorite engine, until Stewart releases a new ATSF VO 1000
1 C&O GP-9 (P2K)
1 C&O F7A (Athearn Genesis)
1 C&O SW 9/1200 (P2K)
1 CNW RS 3 (Atlas)
1 F3A/B (Stewart) waiting to be painted and detailed (ATSF freight)

You see, the list is rather short and I think it will grow very slowly. Although I haven’t finished my current layout yet, I am already planning a set of modules featuring ATSF in 1951. That’s why I am only looking for models of ATSF switchers and roadswitchers delivered until 1951 (O.K, I don’t mind if a nice steamer like the BLI Light Mikado, to be released next January, find its way to me :D )

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
(I'm just sitting here thinking...man I gotta list my diesel roster...but I'm deciding whether or not to get a Southern Pacific SD40 Kodachrome unit (Intermountain) which would change the whole posting...I just picked up a (LifeLike Proto-N) Southern Pacific GP60 yesterday...don't really need this Kodachrome unit - but man it looks nice...I don't know what to do...anyone got one of these Intermountain SD40 units?):confused:

IMR-69409.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
LoudMusic said:
Ah! Bunch of loafers standing in front of 6280 ... back to work boys!
LoudMusic, a "Bunch of loafers"!:eek: HA!, loafers they ARE NOT!:D why I'll have you know, the crew here on UP's "Rock Valley Sub" take GREAT PRIDE in their work;) , and ARE one of the HARDEST WORKING train crews, BAR NONE!:thumb: tooth1 **Tobias, i too like passenger trains:D , my favorite passenger trains were all before Amtrak took over;) , though i do admit, the "bombardier" passenger cars today are AWESOME!:thumb: i clicked on your link, NICE ENGINES!, and i REALLY like the blue factory in the background:thumb: . **Kurt, yes, i hope your engine collection grows;) :D . hey, i seen 2 shots of your layout on the "weekly engine thread", AWESOME MODELING!!!:thumb: , VERY WELL DONE!:D i like the street running you have on it:thumb:. i sure hope a BLI mikado makes it your way;):D . Herc, I LIKE THAT SP!!!:thumb: NICE TUNNEL motor!!:thumb: :D I, would buy it, i think it would make a GREAT addition to your collection;) :D . THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano View attachment 28950

Attachments

• this8881.JPG
    this8881.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 123

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Herc Driver said:
(I'm just sitting here thinking...man I gotta list my diesel roster...but I'm deciding whether or not to get a Southern Pacific SD40 Kodachrome unit (Intermountain) which would change the whole posting...I just picked up a (LifeLike Proto-N) Southern Pacific GP60 yesterday...don't really need this Kodachrome unit - but man it looks nice...I don't know what to do...anyone got one of these Intermountain SD40 units?):confused:

IMR-69409.jpg

Yes, the guys at my trin club have them, and run them often, I think they're wonderful engines, and I would buy them in a heartbeat...if I modeled that era!...OR THAT SCALE!:rolleyes: :D ...hey, wait a minute. I am!?! I had an N scale layout thread (and layout to go with it) SOMEWHERE on the gauge (and In my garage) I'll have to dig it up! :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
caliban said:
Hi Deano,

The blue building in the background is a print out of a photo I've found in the internet.
You can find here
and another view here
Tobias, WOW!:eek: , sure fooled ME!:eek:ops: :thumb: . when i was looking at the pics of your engines, i thought it was a model:thumb: . WELL DONE!:thumb: **pics below:UP SD90/43MAC & AC4400 run some empty coalporters back to Green River;) .:D -Deano View attachment 28974 View attachment 28975

Attachments

• upct1.JPG
    upct1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 106
  • upct.JPG
    upct.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 105

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

Thank you!!!sign1 If you look at the photo, you can see that it is realy a photo. I used a tree on the left and a highway overpass on the right (arrows) to hide the transition. I printed the photo on heavy matt paper, cut away the sky and glued it on thin foam. If still have to blend the colour of the parking lot on the photo and on the layout to match. This will hide the transition from layout to backdrop much better.

Attachments

• Backdrop.jpg
    Backdrop.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 111

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Thats cool Tobias.:thumb: :thumb:

Hey Deano, are those your new UP Coalporters you said you were going to get? Great job on wheathering them!!!! They look soooooo dirty like they should.:thumb: :thumb:

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
"The Erie Northshore, chronically short of motive
power, has brought in some help from farther afield than
usual."

15082006021.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tobias, THANKS for showing us how you did the trick with the factory photo:thumb: , VERY ingenious;) , fooled me:eek:ops: :thumb: :D . **Josh, thanks for the complement:D , YES, those are the new UP coal porters i have just got:thumb: :D . i wanted to get a pic of all six, but when i added 2 engines to them, i just couldn't get a good clear pic of all of it;) tooth1 . **nutbar, WOW!!!:eek: :thumb: :D I never, i mean NEVER, thought i would see ANYTHING UP, from you or Wayne:eek: :thumb: :D . it looks like those UP Alcos are on Wayne's layout;) . i would LOVE to see MORE shots of UP on Wayne's layout!:D . nutbar, are those yours? NICE engines!, and a GREAT SHOT!!!:thumb: THANKS nutbar!:D YOU have made my day!!!:D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hey deano---you can thank wayne for these shots---he thought you would like them ---here's another for your enjoyment ---i have to admit,those FA's looked pretty good

15082006020.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANK YOU!, Wayne AND nutbar!!!

OK, then i want to thank BOTH, YOU, and WAYNE, for the REMARKABLE and VERY UNEXPECTED PICS!!!:thumb: :D i gotta tell you guys, i am still in SHOCK!:D to see UP rolling through Wayne's layout is just slap AWESOME!!!bounce7 (is it my birthday?tooth1 )THANKS GUYS!:D , REALLY, THANK YOU!:D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hey deano---talk about an un-expected birthday present---all the best---now you have an excuse to go out and buy some more trainsbday1 bday1 bday1

hey deano---even if it's not your birthday,just pretend it is !!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Glad you enjoyed them, Dean. That poor guy sitting in his car at the crossing is probably hunting for a road map, thinking he must really be lost.:D

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hi, Dean, as you've probably already heard, Athearn is going to be releasing models of the FEF-2 and FEF-3 sometime in 2007. Just wondering if you've got your order in, yet. :D If you keep buying U.P. steam, pretty soon you'll also need to get some '40s rolling stock, although, at least for now, you can get away with running fan trips and specials behind steam.

Wayne

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Finally got my sd90mac powered up and running, but changed my mind on the road, opted for the bnsf 9647 look. I know it's not prototypical, but it looked better than all that yellow, sorry Deano:rolleyes: . Well, got the correct off white color, and painted the other black 1st, then dark green, but the green is brighter than it should be. My son calls it my "john deer bnsf", sign1 . I went ahead and decalled it w microscales decal 87-943 withe the yellow warbonnet and stripes, and it actually looks pretty good:thumb: , still need handrail kit (hard to find for rpp) and plow and other misc parts, but it's a start. Will post pics when I can wrestle the camera away from my daughter.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

Believe it or not, but I've not even one UP engine!!!!! All I have is a UP bathtub gondola made by Roundhouse.:cry: But I've some SP engines, here is a photo of my latest buy, an Alco RSD-15 Alligator by BLI. I took an other photo of the backdrop building, just to show how I've done it.:wave:

Attachments

• RSD-15.jpg
    RSD-15.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Backdrop.jpg
    Backdrop.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 112

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Hi, Dean, as you've probably already heard, Athearn is going to be releasing models of the FEF-2 and FEF-3 sometime in 2007. Just wondering if you've got your order in, yet. :D If you keep buying U.P. steam, pretty soon you'll also need to get some '40s rolling stock, although, at least for now, you can get away with running fan trips and specials behind steam. Wayne
Wayne:wave:, i have heard about Athearns new FEF's:D . i don't think i will get another one though, i have a Rivarossi FEF-3 already:thumb::D. i DO have one of Athearns Big Boys preordered though!:D should have been out at the end of July, but they haven't released them yet:( . when i receive the Big Boy, that will bring my steam total to 5!:D here is what i have for steam right now(all of these steamers are pictured through out this thread:thumb: );1 Rivarossi Big Boy, 2 Athearn UP Challengers, and 1 Rivarossi UP FEF-3:D . i think thats all the staem i am going to get for now;) tooth1 . pictured below are recent pics of my FEF-3, they are taken on dads layout. the cars behind the FEF-3 are my total collection of 40' boxcars, NOT MANY of them:eek:ops: . i don't buy much for transition type cars, i REALLY do need more:eek:ops: . most of my cars are modern;) . i DO have a NICE UP passenger train i usually run behind my steamers:thumb: :D THANKS Wayne!:D -Deano View attachment 29002 View attachment 29003

Attachments

• UP F-E-F-3.JPG
    UP F-E-F-3.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 96
  • UP FEF 3.JPG
    UP FEF 3.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.