layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Tutorial: Easy Weathering

OK folks!, you read right, its a tutorial on "Deano's Down AND Dirty Weathering":D . what i mean by that is, we are going get down to the bare basics of weathering, and dirty things up a bit:thumb: . some of you out there are WAY advanced for this, but i hope others find it helpful;) . i have an airbrush and have weathered with it, chalks etc., but not everyone has an airbrush, or can use it late at night because the compressor will wake up the wife & kids;) , so this is my EASY, FOOL PROOF weathering method, that i will pass on to YOU!:D ANYONE CAN DO THIS!:thumb: **OK, here is what you need: 1 bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol, 1 roll of paper towels, 1 can of dull cote, 1 can of CHEAP quick dry primer, 1 large paint brush, 1 bottle of India ink OR, I USE Polly Scale "engine black", 1 old glove, 1 container to mix the India ink(or)black paint with the rubbing alcohol(could be a pill bottle, etc.), AND...1 CLEAN boxcar:thumb: View attachment 28651 now, the first thing we will do is wipe the whole car down with rubbing alcohol, to get any oils that your hands, or the mold separation might have left on the car. View attachment 28652 After the car is clean, we will put the old glove on(so we don't spray our hand gray:rolleyes:) , and hold the car about 2-3' away from you, take the CHEAP gray primer and spray the bottom of the sides of the car, holding the spray can 2-3 feet away from it. you just want a LIGHT MIST to hit the car, more on the bottom then the top. DON'T OVER DO IT!, remember, light mist the sides of the whole car:thumb: . View attachment 28658 View attachment 28659 OK, now that the primer has dried, mix up the rubbing alcohol with your India ink(or)black(water based) paint. i use about 2 tablespoons to about a pint of rubbing alcohol, you might want to use more/less;) . lay the boxcar on its side, and wet the whole side down with the mixture:thumb: View attachment 28660 CONTINUED....

Attachments

• step1.JPG
    step1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 233
  • step2.JPG
    step2.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 226
  • step3.JPG
    step3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 239
  • step3.1.JPG
    step3.1.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 230
  • step4.JPG
    step4.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 230

UP SD40-2

Tutorial: Easy Weathering...continued

OK, now that the side of the car has the ink(or)paint and alcohol mixture on it, take a paper towel and wipe DOWN STROKES on the car. remember,announce1 DO NOT, wipe the car sideways!!! WIPE DOWN STROKES!!!:thumb: when the side of the car IS DRY, turn it over and do the same;) , to do the ends of the car, place it up on its wheels, and apply the mixture,announce1 DO NOT wipe the ends off!! why? because the ends of the car should be much more dirtier then the sides;) . do the alcohol/ink(or)paint step as many times as you like, till the car is as dirty as you want it:thumb: . View attachment 28661 AFTER you are finished, and like the way the car has turned out, then apply 2-3 coats of Dull cote to the whole car. announce1 DO NOT DULL COTE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE!, if you put the alcohol mix on after the dull cote is applied, it will haze up white:( , sure you could RE-dull cote it, but in MY opinion, it just wont look as good;) . after the dull cote has dried...TA! DA!!, YOUR DONE!:thumb: and just look at that dirty car, YOU have done it!:thumb: **SIDE NOTE: do your cars in various degrees of filth, NOT ALL cars are REAL DIRTY!, sometimes less, IS MORE! :thumb: :D i hope you have enjoyed the tutorial!:thumb: :D till next time...stay on track!:D -Deano View attachment 28662 View attachment 28663 View attachment 28664 View attachment 28665

Attachments

• step4.1.JPG
    step4.1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 226
  • step5.JPG
    step5.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 231
  • step6.JPG
    step6.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 226
  • step7.JPG
    step7.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 229
  • step8.JPG
    step8.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 223

UP SD40-2

MilesWestern said:
((once again apprause erupts as if from nowhere)) YAY!!! GO DEAN! GREAT JOB ON A TRY-ABLE TUTORIAL!!! :thumb:
Miles:wave:, THANKS!!!:D :D :D , though you and a few others on here can thank yourselves:thumb: , what i mean is YOU and a couple others complemented me on my weathering, so i thought i would share how i do it;) :D THANKS MAN!:D -Deano

cnw1961

Deano, thank you VERY much for your detailed views on your sound decoders. I have only one sound equipped engine at the moment (a P2K Geep), but I want to put sound decoders in all the engines I run frequently. Sound is addictive (is it a legal drug? tooth1 ). Deano, I disagree with you on your views on the QSI decoder. It has a fault: the lack of Back EMF. Though I hate the idea to pay twice for a decoder wall1 , I got to have the upgrade chip to enhance low speed performance of my geep.
Keeping in mind what you said, LokSound seems to be the best choice at the moment. The LokSound programmer is very tempting, even though it is a bit expensive. It could be the cure of the weak horn and may be, one fine day I might be able to download a soundfile for my Baldwins. Oh well, a lot to think about, but who needs a hobby, that does not cause a lot of "problems"? :D :D
And a big WOW for "Deano's Down AND Dirty Weathering". :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: A quick and easy method to get great results. I have to try it.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
So thats how you do it.:) Awsome, Im going to have to do that to my boxcars and hoppers.

THANKS DEAN:thumb: :thumb:

Herc Driver

Deano -

Great tutorial on weathering! I gotta try it soon. I tried spraying Nscale boxcars with basic matte black (I had some stuff I sprayed on the inside of my car's wheel wells) and it left large beads of paint (large in Nscale size mind you). I'll try the last few steps to dull it down a bit and that might just work!

Once again, you rock!

cn nutbar

deano---thanks for posting some of your dad's collection---it's not hard to see where your talent came from---i get the impression you like c-liners---hope you enjoy,nutbar

27052006011.jpg

steamhead

Deano,

Great tutorial...You make it sound so easy. Will have to try it.
Bet your dad is thrilled like a kid now that his "Plywood Flats" is turning into a world of its own. Good job!!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

doctorwayne

Very well done tutorial on the weathering, Dean. Easy to follow step-by-step, nice clear and illustrative photographs, and great results.:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

UP SD40-2

cn nutbar said:
---i get the impression you like c-liners---hope you enjoy,nutbar
nutbar:wave:, THANKS for the VERY kind words:D . YOU BET I LIKE C-LINERS!:D , in fact, i like ALL FM's!!!:thumb:...i got to tell you though, when it comes to YOUR engines, i like them ALL!:thumb::D nutbar, i think your engines are VERY WELL DETAILED, and i NEVER tire of seeing ANY of them;) :D . THANKS!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne said:
Very well done tutorial on the weathering, Dean. Easy to follow step-by-step, nice clear and illustrative photographs, and great results.:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne
Wayne, Gus, Herc, Kurt, Josh and Miles, WOW!!! THANKS GUYS!!!:D :D :D i am so glad you liked the tutorial!:D i really like doing them:thumb: . and if they help just ONE person, for me, that makes them worth doing:D . i have a couple more up my sleeve, we"ll see if this thread makes it long enough to post em;)tooth1. THANKS!!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I think that this thread will survive anything. It copuld be the next "Come back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee {or sweet ice tea}" thread.

It has a bit more pages though. OK IT HAS 122 PAGES BUT this thread could make it there. I wonder if Cheif Eagles ever thought that that thread would get that many replies??

Anyways, lets see some more tutorials Deano!!!!!!bounce7 bounce7

UP SD40-2

TruckLover said:
I think that this thread will survive anything. It copuld be the next "Come back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee {or sweet ice tea}" thread.
sign1 Josh, my friend, THANK YOU!, that is VERY KIND of YOU to say:D , but i doubt this thread would EVER, be a contender with the "coffee" thread;) , very nice of you thoughsign1 . as far as the next tutorial...patiance;). i gotta tell you, right now i am so psyched up about getting my new UP MP15DC w/QSI tomorrow, i can hardly stand it!(this will bring my total to: 35 engines on my UP roster alone!).:D i have the decals already cut, parts to add on ready, and airbrush IN HAND!:thumb: :D sure the next tutorial WILL come;) , but being a "self proclaimed" engine nut, well, ENGINES COME FIRST!:thumb:tooth1 THANKS! again, Josh:D . till next time...stay on track man:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I don't blame you!!

Sounds like your ready for that engine. I hope you have fun with it.

O and show us some pics of it when it's done. Im sure it will look great.:thumb:

MilesWestern

You're welcome, always here to support an extraordinary (and not just for modeling the UP, mind you!) modeler like yourself! Thanks for frequenting theis already wonderful forum, and making it even better! :)

UP SD40-2

Josh AND Miles, THANKS!!:eek:ops: :D ,REALLY, THANKS!:D i have to say, YOU GUYS, and the OTHER REGULARS on this thread(and forum;) ) are GREAT!:thumb: YOUR SUPPORT and CONTRIBUTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!;) :D **again, THANK YOU!:D -Deano

Herc Driver

What's UP! Excursion train coming through

Here's one for ya Deano...copied the consist from a picture I found online...

Attachments

• P8080690.JPG
    P8080690.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 91
  • P8080683.JPG
    P8080683.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 99
  • P8080687.JPG
    P8080687.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P8080682.JPG
    P8080682.JPG